Thread: weird picture fir my tivo

weird picture fir my tivo

Hello

I have just gotten a series 1 tivo, philips brand. I have gone through the guided setup gone through the necessary steps. But when it starts to show the video image coming from my foxtel digital stu it seems to be a black and white picture with a green tint to it.

the weird thing is that the setup menus are in colour but the foxtel image has that green tint. when i go into the picture settings on fox digital and chnage the output to s-video it goes black and white with no tint at all. This is what a picture would normally be like if you used the svideo setting without any svideo cables.

Is there a problem with my tivo or am i doing smething wrong?? Is this just part of the setup process when it takes 4-8 hrs to sort the data out?

Lightbulb

I would probably check your inputs using something else like a DVD player, or a PS2 perhaps, and run live TV. If they also show black and white with a tinge of green, then I think some further investigation needs to be in order!

If your DVD player plays correctly, then maybe change the cables over between your TiVo and your STB.

Cheers
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Yes I suggest doing what Tenty suggests. If you get the same result with another device then it is most likely a fault with the S-Video input. Does RCA video input work OK or is this also bad?

4-8 hours initial data sort out time is not a factor.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Hi

Thanks for the recommendations. I gave them a shot and my results were as follows

I tried two things, firstly i tried using the svideo input and connected my xbox in that manner. I got a black and white picture when it finishes rebooting. The next thing i tried was using a normal composite cable from fox and a dvd player, they both came up with that green tinge picture.
    Something else tha is odd is that whenever i foxtel or the xbox or the dvd, i have to reset the tivo because it comes up with a meesage recoerder cannnot display live tv. try these tips one at a time'

I think there is something wrong with the input ports. Anyone out there have any nowhow on how to get these checked out or an anyone reommend a plae i could take it?

Sounds like a dodgy SAA7114H video chip to me. Not uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by lollercoaster
    Anyone out there have any nowhow on how to get these checked out or an anyone reommend a plae i could take it?
    Did you happen to notice my signature? (hint: read the coloured text at the bottom of this post).

I offer to either fix your board or alternatively outright exchange your defective for a good one. If you have the tools and knowhow on how to extract the board you can either send me the defective for repair/exchange or I can send you a good one and you send back the defective.

That's about as much as I can advise and offer. A general TV Repair place won't probably even know what a TiVo is let alone know what to look for or have stock of the necessary parts.
    Last edited by Darren King; 27-07-2005 at 08:46 AM.
    Darren King

dodgy chip

Hey Darren it's arthur here

Looks like i may have to make that drive anyway? Do you have an approximate cost of replacement for this chip?? If so when would be a good time for you??

Hi Arthur

As said on the website it is $35/hr plus the cost of the parts or $100 for outright board replacement. Feel free to contact me via email like you have been already and we can discuss further. I have already let you know my work address and times I am there if you want to make the drive right now to drop it off. Bring the already mentioned remote with you and I will fix that inclusive of the prices for fixing/replacing the motherboard.
    Darren King

For those keeping tabs on this thread: TiVo was delivered today and it has a very grotty looking display. Some quick tests confirmed it is indeed a sick SAA7114H video chip and the board will be replaced.
    Darren King

*passes Darren a mallet and a large vat of Treacle*