Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tivo losing sound - comes back after reboot

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tivo losing sound - comes back after reboot

In the last week or so, I've found that the Tivo is losing sound for TV programmes.

This includes live TV and recordings. The Tivo sound effects are still present and there is sound from the STB that is connected to the Tivo.

A reboot will restore sound but this seems to be happening every couple of days.

I'm running an S1 SA Philips Tivo with release 1.4. The machine has been running pretty well since it was imaged and the only thing I've been doing different lately is using vserver to extract files via Tivotool.

Anyone got any advice?

Losing sound can be hardware related and in the symptom you describe IF it is hardware related then it will be the Micronas sound chip which can be repaired. However firstly my advice is to grab a small hard disk (2GB and up is fine) and run it as a test hard disk with nothing more than the standard oztivo image and see if you can replicate the problem. If you can then it is 99.9% hardware.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

I would be interested to see if your problem is the same as mine.

Next time you lose sound on live tv, can you change channel and see if the sound comes back? THis is the problem I occasionally get (changing the channel brings the sound back). It's also recorded like that. Darren may remember me trying to find where this fault was too (a few months back). Couldn't pin it down at all. And it also hadn't done it for a while (I did a re-image with the latest image when it was released).

The tests I did were with a small hard drive, Could not replicate the problem.
    Also the output from the power supply was checked with a multimeter and all was ok.

No biggie really, doesn't bother me too much. But always good to find out why it's doing it.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll keep an eye on the issue and will try and give the new image on a spare HDD a try but may not be able to do this for a week or two.

If it does need a repair Darren, would you also be able to fix the LED on the front? Doesn't show when the unit it recording.

zollymonsta, the sound doesn't come back after changing channels. I have to reboot my Tivo to get sound back.

Thanks,

Chris

Intermittent Sound Loss - FTA ABC Brisbane

G'day, I have exactly the same problem as zollymonsta, been happening pretty much ever since I plugged the TiVo in after getting it, details as follows:
    - only occurs on the ABC, never on any other channels
    - intermittent fault, have not noticed any patterns
    - I have observed it occur only when TiVo records, and seems equally likely to occur both
    a. when TiVo has to change channels from another channel (sound always fine on other channels) to record on ABC, and/or
    b. when TiVo already on ABC and not recording (and sound already OK) and then starts a recording
    - can't remember it ever occurring when I change channel to ABC manually
    - when the problem occurs and I happen to be watching, a manual change of channel away from ABC and then back to ABC fixes it (but only for that occurrence)

Background:
    - TiVo bought from US, sent direct to Darren King for installation of a tuner & imaging and install of a large HDD (who did a great job, great support afterward, highly recommended!)
    - Initial reception problems traced to crap antenna & crap house cabling, fixed with lush new antenna, quad-shielded cable and f-connectors all the way along signal path

If anyone can help, my wife, David Attenborough and I would be very appreciative!

Cheers,
    Cods
    Cods.

Cods,

The intermittent sound loss on one channel only is still related to antenna problems and/or tuning. It is because the Micronas chip (ie the "Mark 2" sound decoder) cannot attain a fully clean sound carrier in the detection phase (ie when the TiVo initially switches channels) and therefore mutes the audio. Given it is intermittent means sometimes you have acceptible sound carrier levels, and sometimes not.

My suggestion is to firstly run palmod_config and fine tune channel 2 a bit, and then if still having problems re-check the antenna install for a balanced reception over all channels received. This is best done with a proper field strength meter rather than "eye and ear" testing if you can get hold of one.
    Darren King

It might also be interesting to see what palmod is doing at the time that these problems occur. If you could do a "cat /var/log/kernel | grep PALMOD" and post the relevant lines (ie the version number and messages around the time that the issue occured) then it might help to determine what could be going wrong. I am more than happy to provide an alternative palmod and make as many changes as required to resolve any issue - and once we determine what/if code changes are required then these could be rolled into the official (OzTivo) version.

I don't have a copy of the current source, but I have attached the latest palmod.o

Peter.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Current executables for Aus/NZ versions of palmod won't work properly for South Africa. Although the South African sound standard is (like NZ) NICAM, the sound carrier offset is different for them at 6.0MHz rather than Aus/NZ of 5.5MHz.
    Darren King

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    Current executables for Aus/NZ versions of palmod won't work properly for South Africa. Although the South African sound standard is (like NZ) NICAM, the sound carrier offset is different for them at 6.0MHz rather than Aus/NZ of 5.5MHz.
    Based on the NzStereoSupport wiki page, I was of the impression that "Australia use Zweiton Stereo (5.742MHz offset) whereas New Zealand use NICAM (with a 5.85MHz offset)"?

Would it be a complex operation to add support for the 6.0MHz offset? At present palmod is able to receive sound for the South African channels, it's just that it tends to drop out in some instances.