hi

im looking for help from someone a little more experienced than me - im at a loss as to why still cant make a testcall etc during guided setup.

i have a tivo series 1 with a turbonet card which i have successfully installed and appears to be working well. my pc is running xp with service pack 2 and i have ICS activated and running successfully when i switch ethernet crossover cable to a second pc running win 98se ie successfully use internet explorer on on win98 to do google search and even a download of a slice from minnie etc).

however when plug into the tivo i can do the following without trouble:
1. ping tivo and identify tivo ip address.
2. telnet with hyper terminal (tcp/ip style)
3. use this to ipconfig - successfully as per faq''s
4. confirm route - successfully as per faq's
5. ping back to pc - successfully
6. activate dial up modem on pc and establish an internet connection
7. ping o/s - successfully as per faq's
8. run wget to minnie and get "200 ok" reply - successfully as per faq's
9. confirmed with dbget that dialup prefic is #401 (implied above anyway)

however when enter maintainance mode on tivo and start guided setup hangs and fails at call 1 (ditto when using tivo web to do a test call). all this was done with nic_config_tiv0 set to "dchp" but have repeated it by putting in a static ip address (definitely with correct netmask and gateway on pc) but still fails.

has anybody had any experience with this combination? ive read various things here and on the us sites but nothing has jumped out yet?
please someone tell me im doing something embarrasingly obviously wrong

any help much much appreciated :->

cheers red
ps had tivo a while but origonally had airnet card which never got to work properly so have been manually loading slices or just using tivo in maunal mode with origonal oztivo. could go back to that by re ghosting drive but would like to move on in this hobby (if i can !!!)