Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup of a NZ-modified UK-2.5.5

Backup of a NZ-modified UK-2.5.5

I need a backup of a UK tivo

I'd been debating upgrading my UK-tivo for ages. I'd just decided to go for it when sods law kicked in and the drive corrupted. I ran powermax diagnostics, which confirmed that the drive is indeed knackered.

Would someone please please please PM me a link to a backup of a NZ-modified UK-2.5.5 Thompson.

Thanks in advance

Joergen (Denmark)

I have been successfully running the US 1.3 image from OzTivo on my UK Tivo for about 6 months now in NZ. You can find the images here ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo/images/ .

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your help

Appreciate your proposal – but bin there for the last 2 weeks. TIVO keep freezing every 2. – 3. day. Prefer a backup/image of 2.5.5 (at this time any version of 2.5.5) either as a link or as a file in a pm.

Hmm regarding the freezing - yes I get this about once per week (on average). The TivoApp UI will freeze while it is recording something. I thought this was related to a TivoApp issue mentioned here: http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...msAndSolutions . But after implementing the fix, it does not seem to be the case on my UK machine

There does not seem to be a whole lot of advice out there for people with a UK Tivo.

Have you tried using this image? I have yet to give this a good test as I started using the US OZTivo image initially.
    ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo/images/pv...release1.3beta

With this image you need to create a boot CD with this image file on it or have it available on some other mountable file system.

If worst comes to worst, I have my original UK Tivo drives which I can image for you but keep in mind I am rather busy right now, so an instant turn around is currently not possible from me.

If anyone else is running UK Tivo out there and some general advice for us please speak up.

Quote Originally Posted by tarx
    Have you tried using this image? I have yet to give this a good test as I started using the US OZTivo image initially.
    ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/tivo/images/pv...release1.3beta
    This image sure seems large enough to be a v2.5.5 TiVo image. The v2.5.5 images are much larger due to the large amount of animated backgrounds implemented as movies (loopsets) stored within the MFS.

With this image you need to create a boot CD with this image file on it or have it available on some other mountable file system.
    You can pretty much use any TiVo boot CD for this task (the Network Boot CD, and the OzTiVo iso images will all boot into Linux and contain the mfsrestore and mfsbackup utilities).

Hmm regarding the freezing - yes I get this about once per week (on average).
    As far as the hangs under the v3.0 software... this is usually the result of a Event Handler not being able to respond to events fast enough. See this post.

Has anyone managed to get the UK image working on a US tivo?

Quote Originally Posted by samjohnson
    Has anyone managed to get the UK image working on a US tivo?
    People have in the past (3 years ago). There were reports of some issues caused by SwSystem disappearing occasionally (possibly as the result of the TiVo attempting to upgrade itself). Let us know how it goes
    Last edited by thomson; 11-04-2005 at 12:30 PM.

Well I did try a couple of weeks ago....
    Just without changing anything it booted up fine except in NTSC mode. I then tried to replace the default palmod installed with the US palmod and I couldn't get the tivo to boot..it just went in an infinite loop of rebooting after the "Almost there..." splash screen.

Quote Originally Posted by samjohnson
    Well I did try a couple of weeks ago....
    Just without changing anything it booted up fine except in NTSC mode. I then tried to replace the default palmod installed with the US palmod and I couldn't get the tivo to boot..it just went in an infinite loop of rebooting after the "Almost there..." splash screen.
    I would have expected it to be in PAL since the UK v2.5.5 is PAL-I by default. The ukchan.o module could be altered so as to force the chipsets into PAL. If I ever get stuck at home with nothing to do for a few days then I might give it a go. I guess I do not really see the point, as I am guessing you are just trying to make the software more stable?

If you are interested in a stable system then the best thing to do would be to avoid dodgy modules that access the Event handler. I would suggest you load up TivoWebPlus (1.1beta) and only add the modules that you require. Things like the screen.itcl TivoWeb module should be avoided if possible. If there is something in particular which is bugging you then let me know and I might be able to give you some pointers on how to resolve.

The reason I was investigating using the UK image was to get menus that are in PAL resolution and having on-screen access to the Recorder and Phone setup menus.