Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky's PVR

Sky's PVR

I know rumours of if/when Sky here will do the same as Sky+ in the UK by launching it's own PVR - so to add to the rumour mill, It looks as though it may come into fruition sooner than later.
    A mate of mine was part of a focus group last week with Sky TV, who gave some preliminary specs of a PVR that they'll launch, and gave http://www.plusworld.co.uk/ as a reference for the model(s) that they're going with.
    He also confirmed that it'll have 160Gb (60hrs) and 2 tuners - able to record 2 sky channels at once.
    They are loooking at launching it at around $399
    I know that the Sky PVR has been mentioned in the past, and it's supposed to come out late this year or early next, but I thought that confirmation of a focus group on the subject and price shows a possible time frame.

....still will always love TiVo tho...

On different note - can I offer a brand-new Turbonet card for sale, Tested perfect, never used other than test, bought with a spare Tivo. $75NZ Will include courier within NZ. --update, taken now!
    Last edited by fixxer37; 31-03-2005 at 02:31 PM.

<rant class="bored">
    Sky TV. It's like some sort of joke company or something lol... how many more months/years do they need to roll out a PVR service.
    ooh two tuners so u can record two lots of old movie repeats :P

The only thing I am half curious about is whether they will actually let you skip adverts. Personally I just don't see them doing it but if they are pricing it high enough the actual number of customers will be low anyway for quite some time.
    </rant>

ahem. sorry for that. I don't even have Sky (havent for months). Tivo/FTA for news and doco's and the Internet (Bittorrent/RSS) for everything else.

cheers,

TiM

Turnonet card for sale

I will take that if you still have it.

Got a second Tivo the other day as a swap for one of my HTPC cases... now it is time to start the Tivo fun. I am in Auckland.

I have read the old links on the Tivo/Sky+ comparison, and am glad I don't have to wait for a PVR from Sky - the whole interface looks Nasssty, and will continue with TiVo. The post was really just adding a price and timeframe for any visitors still deciding on Tivo / Letting other friends and family know what's coming up so they don't waste money on a DVDrec/HDD etc or have to bother setting them up a TiVo!

I'd like two channels at once, it seems that when the only good shows on FTA are on they double up with something on another channel - and we make good use of sky, regardless of double ups and rubbish... But I don't think the interface etc is worth it...

There's always 2 tivo's and 2 decoders. I want to do that but don't have ethernet to the room with my second tv and decoder for the updates.

More on the Sky PRV

Quote Originally Posted by timmy
    <rant class="bored">
    Sky TV. It's like some sort of joke company or something lol... how many more months/years do they need to roll out a PVR service.
    ooh two tuners so u can record two lots of old movie repeats :P

The only thing I am half curious about is whether they will actually let you skip adverts. Personally I just don't see them doing it but if they are pricing it high enough the actual number of customers will be low anyway for quite some time.
    </rant>
    According to this story from Stuff , launch is planned for Xmas (aah, '05 I guess). Looks like Pace is the box provider and they have even touched on the squeamish issue of ad skipping. Any volunteers for a "focus group"?
    Last edited by clive; 20-06-2005 at 11:49 AM. Reason: atrocious spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Wanted
    There's always 2 tivo's and 2 decoders. I want to do that but don't have ethernet to the room with my second tv and decoder for the updates.
    A pair of wireless bridges can fix that AUD$300. Or just one for AUD$150 if you already have a wireless network at home.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Story is on www.nzherald.co.nz under 'technology and science'

You can fast forward.. but there is no 'skip' button to skip past the ads.

Here is what sky sent me confirming details and specs..

Hello,

We are now pleased to be able to confirm the following:

"MY SKY" is a digital set-top box that uses a hard-disk drive to record and replay content from more than 80 SKY channels including sports, movies, news, documentaries, lifestyle, music and general entertainment programming. "MY SKY" is the only device of its kind that will integrate with SKY's state-of-the-art digital Electronic Programme Guide. This means that with a single touch of a button, viewers can select from the on-screen programme guide the programmes that they want to record.

"MY SKY" records up to 60 hours of television to be viewed at any time. Subscribers to this innovative SKY service will have increased control over their viewing through a range of revolutionary functions including the ability to pause live TV, record two channels at once, record at the touch of a button without needing videotapes as well as the ability to programme "MY SKY" to automatically record every episode of a favourite series.

In conjunction with the new service, SKY is streamlining and updating its Electronic Programme Guide. Subscribers will find it easy to record their favourite programme thanks to an on-screen "scroll and select" menu arranged by genres such as sport, movies, news, kids, documentary, and general entertainment.

Subscribers don't need to be technologically savvy to enjoy the new "MY SKY" service. Key benefits for consumers are its ease-of-use and after sales support. "MY SKY" has clear advantages over the purchase of other personal digital recording devices sold on a stand alone basis. The "MY SKY" warranty never runs out and SKY will service the box if there are any faults. "MY SKY" will never be outdated as SKY has the ability to continually upgrade "MY SKY" ensuring subscribers have access to the latest technology, functionality and features which SKY will continue to introduce.

"MY SKY" will be available to both new and existing SKY subscribers from 5th December 2005 for a one-off connection fee of $599.00. There will be no extra monthly subscription fee.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

GENERAL

Operating Voltage: 230V AC+15%; 50Hz

Power Consumption: 35 W (max)

Weight: 4.5kg (packed)

Dimensions (W x H x D): 390mm x 62mm x 265mm

UHF modulator: CCIR PAL System G; CH 21 to 69

(factory setting is 24)

Operating temperature range: 0°C to +50°C

Storage temperature range; -25°C to +55°C

REAR PANEL CONNECTORS

240V ~ 50 Hz: (Power input) IEC 320 2-pin reversible

Telephone line: RJ11 female

VCR SCART SCART (composite video out/loop thru; S-Video out/loop thru; RGB loop thru: Component loop thru)

TV SCART SCART (composite video out; RGB out; S-Video out; Component out)

Audio R and L Right and left phono (RCA) audio out

S-Video Out 4-way mini-DIN

Video Out Phono (RCA) composite video out

Digital Audio Out Electrical S/PDIF phono (RCA) out

Optical Audio Out Optical S/PDIF digital-audio out

RS232 Serial connector 9-way Female D type

USB Single USB (1.1) Type A

Aerial In IEC 169-2 female

RF Out - 1 IEC 169-2 male

RF Out - 2 IEC 169-2 male

Input 1 and 2 (Satellite PDR) 2 x IEC 169-24 F-type female

It is a Pace decoder.

We will be updating our website www.skytv.co.nz with any further developments along with various other forms of advertising including television promos to keep customers and potential customers informed.