Thread: A simple plan

A simple plan

Gentlepersons,

In my timehonoured tradition of asking for tech fixes while having no particular means to do anything myself other than whine...

I think the lack of DNS functionality in the OzTivo image is one of the last big things causing inelegance for all of us, and more serious problems for newbies.

If we had this functionality, we could run a time server somewhere to deal with daylight saving automatically.

And more importantly, we could point to Ed's emulator via a domain, so any changes to his IP in future would sort themselves out.

Whats involved? If we did it, could we maybe interest the OzTivo guys in integrating it into the main image. I understand their new image is ****-hot, with a GUI and everything, only requiring the emulator IP to be input. Would be groovy if that could be vollynet.org.nz (or whatever) and these two niggling ongoing maintenence problems disapeared.

Cheers,

Tony

a DNS name would be a good idea as I know of a few people (including myself ) that have accidently put the ip address in incorrectly.

Have not had a chance to look at the new image yet. Are there any major new benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I think the lack of DNS functionality in the OzTivo image is one of the last big things causing inelegance for all of us, and more serious problems for newbies.
    There are two packages to deal with this...

The first is the tivodns-1.0 approach described here.

And the second is the libresolv-0.1 package found here.

has anyone backed up a NZ modified tivo onto this new oztivo img. I mean created a backup image using msfbackup and put it back onto the oztivo img.

I tend to have my tivo backup img's on a fat32 partition. I think there is a checksum file on that cd img or something so need to update that too or it complains when u try to boot it up. follow?

anyway, another thing to remember. Not sure if still relevant. When you do a backup u can't restore it to a drive that is smaller than the drive that it was backed up from. is this still relevant?

anyway, haven't had chance to play with that new oztivo img yet but reckon should'nt take much at all to make nztivo img from it. Incorporate the DNS patch and we're set. cmon folks.. piece of cake. who's up for it?

That and IR codes. if we could update the oztivo img with Sky/Saturn etc codes we'd be so set. just img drive, run guided setup and u'r so done if all u want is a modem setup.

cheers,

ps have finished the p a r s e r. two weeks guide data right around the corner now I swear!

TiM
    Last edited by timmy; 21-03-2005 at 02:40 PM.