Thread: S-Video TiVo input behaves strangely

S-Video TiVo input behaves strangely

Gidday all,

Ed has my TiVo working beautifully (will someone please give this man a job offer so he can stay in NZ?!).

One thing that has been taxing me is that when I use S-Video input into the TiVo it gives a distinctly peculiar looking image, with a purple and green shadow cast over the image.

It *looks* like misadjusted colour phase - something I haven't seen since working on OB shoots ten years ago. On composite input its fine.

This isn't taht important really, as the composite input is fine... but in theory S-video would improve it a bit. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Tony

This is mentioned in Tim's howto, and faq I think, just change the SCART output to s-video in the sky box's "advanced" options.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    One thing that has been taxing me is that when I use S-Video input into the TiVo it gives a distinctly peculiar looking image, with a purple and green shadow cast over the image.
    I saw this with SCART and the TV I just recently purchased. I haven't had any time to play with it yet, but I have 2 inputs, one of them is scart for RGB video, and the other is for the YCbCr.

I don't know if this affects things, it's just an idea. But I noticed that when I plugged it into the YCbCr input, it had the symptom you mention. I don't have enough time to check whether or not this is true for both S-Video and Composite though. But will post when I have the chance to check this theory.

Cheers
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Smile Sky decoder setting fixes original issue

Hi all,

I've obviously been spoiled by professional gear... have never heard of having to manually set which output to use with a menu setting.

Works, though!

If your S-Video input looks funny colour-wise, you probably have to go into the Sky box's settings and manually set it to S-Video output. Then all will be well, and your images will look a bit better.

Cheers,

Tony