Thread: PAL Guided Setup

PAL Guided Setup

My Tivo runs fine - but ever in search of perfection I decided to try and get rid of the big black line at the bottom of the screen in the menus.

I thought I had to make sure mode is PAL and enable guided setup PAL mode via Tivoweb (which I did), reboot (which i did), and rerun guided setup (which i did).

But it is still the same? I'm thinking I must have missed something. Thanks if anybody can help.

I'm pretty sure the menu is only designed in NTSC mode and as such will always take up less space when displayed in PAL mode. You can change the TiVo to use NTSC and it will display in the original proportions.... but then you can't watch TV on it.

All menus (which if you look close are animated backgrounds) and introduction animation are in NTSC which has less scan lines than PAL. When you make these NTSC based graphics play back in PAL mode the scan lines bunch up hence the black band at the bottom.

You cannot switch between NTSC for menus and PAL for playing/recording. Worse still these animations are not a standard MPEG stream - they are proprietary - so you cannot simply copy them to your PC stretch them and place them back. It simply won't work.

If you want "perfection" in the menu department you go and buy a Thompson UK TiVo which are much more expensive and supported much less by virtue there are not many of them here.

Other than that if you have a lot of time and the knowledge you can try making TyTools in reverse. That is, TyTools can convert a Ty video format to MPEG but nobody has made it do the reverse. Do that and you might be in luck.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!