Thread: Daylight Savings reminder

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Daylight Savings reminder

Just a reminder that if you have a few moments over the next week or so you may like to configure your system to automatically adjust between NZST/NZDT.

This can be done via a simple script described in this Daylight Saving Adjustment post. Those of you a little more familiar with Unix may also wish to install a TiVo rdate(1) implementation. And if you really have time on your hands then you may also like to have a look at the Channel Grid TivoWeb module (I have included the module for those without a TivoCommunity login).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Eeekk.. so many ways to do it.

Which is the best way? Just set the time manually?

*takes some valium and offer the rest to the others*

won't it change the time automagically after the next daily call ??

I think it depends on wether there is an ntp time server running on the emulator. I don't think there is.

Anyhow, that won't do any good if the time change is at 2am and your next daily call isn't until 3pm the following day (unless you force a daily call).

I'll force a daily call before telneting ad see how it goes

The best and easiest option would be to implement the script described in this Daylight Saving Adjustment post and run it via cron. That will adjust the time for Daylight Saving, but will not synchronise it.

The time synchronisation is probably being done by the emulator, or some other method. I use the rdate implementation as it is easier to use and more forgiving than the current set of scripts/binaries on the images.

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Eeekk.. so many ways to do it.

Which is the best way? Just set the time manually?
    I *think* Thomson means you to use one of the examples of his rdate program if your TiVo's time setup is bung - which example to use depends on how bung the time setup is.

In my case the setup is all good.
    Additionally... The standard TiVo image has an entry in /hack/etc/crontab that runs fixtime.cron to do a time sync daily at 2:10am. Unless I'm sadly mistaken (and I often am when it comes to things TiVo) this can work well - I just looked at the time on my TiVo and it's too close to an internet time server to tell the difference - so I'm assuming fixtime.cron is doing the job (there is a nice little entry in /var/log/cron.log every day).

So the only thing to do if this is the case for you is implement Thomson's 'Daylight Saving Adjustment'.

Hey Thomson, just flame me if I'm talking rubbish, you know I like it.

Oops again, Thomson I only just noticed your reply (the post just prior to this). But I think what I say is still valid.
    Last edited by SeanOffShotgun; 01-03-2005 at 07:55 PM.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

At the moment, the emulator points the Tivos to a time server at 127.0.0.1, so it probably won't go automagically unless you've customized your Tivo considerably.

This is due to historical reasons; at the time I setup the emulator, there was no method I was aware of (nor anybody else as far as I know) to set the timezone such that it would work both with the guidedata we have, and a normal NTP server. I believe this is now possible, and would like to implement it, however it means that everybody's existing machines would be suddenly b0rk3d, so I'm reluctant to do it(though perhaps the DST change, since everybody's machines will be b0rk3d anyway, is an appropriate time, hmmm). I think perhaps the appropriate time will be when (if) we roll our own NZ image.

Me, I'm still using the ol' manual method. Only happens 2x year, and it's easy enough (as I have regular LAN access to the thing).

Still, if I'm not too busy this weekend, maybe this would be a good time for the change to NTP time. Hmm.