Thread: Connection problems

Connection problems

A few problems I hope someone can shed some light on .

1. For the last 2 weeks my Tivo has been unable to connect to my ISP through the internal modem. I have tried 2 seperate ISP accounts, Xtra and Paradise, that worked previously but consistently have received the could not connect message. These accounts continued to work on my computer. Has anyone had similar problems? Just wondering whether the internal modem is more susceptible to the quality of the phone line than your standard computer modem.

2. Since the problems above I have attempted to set up a network between the Tivo and my computer which is running XP and use ICS for my dial up account. I have read the Networking how to's but don't seem to be having much luck. I have removed the phone number and isp username and password from the tclient.conf file and I have set the DialPrefix to ',#401' but any attempt to connect results in the message, 'Failed - No dial-in number chosen'. I have also been unable to ping the computer from the tivo successfully. It seems to receive the packets but does not respond even with firewalls disabled.

I have tried to help myself but feel like I am beginning to hit my head against a brickwall. Any help or information much appreciated.

Regards
    Pastos

A couple of questions for you.

If you force a daily call via tivoweb and pick up the phone, can you hear your Tivo dialling and initiating a connection with your ISP?

If it doesn't and you haven't changed anything, there is a possibility your TiVos internal modem has decided to stop working. There are instructions on Minnie on how to use an external modem via the TiVo's serial port.

Regarding the network connecting, how is your tivo connected to your PC?
    What image are you using?

Thanks for replying

In attempting to answer your 1st question I have created another one. I re-edited the tclient.conf and rc.sysinit.tivohack files for use with the internal modem. I also ran a command like this, dbsetx /State/DialConfig DialPrefix ' ' to null the ',#401' that was previously set. It now seems to have dumped this parameter completely and gives me an "can't open object (errDbNotFound)" message when I try to retrieve it or reset it with dbget or dbsetx. The file /devbin/dbsetx has a line that ominously reads, if {$attr == ""} {dumpobj $obj} ;# if no attrib just dump the object. Anyway to get this parameter back or is a reformatting required?

In regards to networking I am using a crossover cable and a turbonet card.
    Image version is 3.0-01-1-000. I have access to Tivoweb but can't seem to start a Telnet session so I am currently using the serial cable to communicate. Output from the ifconfig line is

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    inet addr:192.168.0.47 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:269 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:101 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    Interrupt:29

Ouput from the route command is

route_info, afname=inet, options=33
    Kernel IP routing table
    Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
    192.168.0.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth0
    default 192.168.0.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth0

Under the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties I have manually configured the IP addresses but it will not let you set an 192.168.0.0 address. Although I can't ping successfully I have successfully run the wget http://131.244.9.101/index.html command so it seems the Tivo can contact the outside world.

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks

Pastos

Quote Originally Posted by Pastos
    Thanks for replying

In regards to networking I am using a crossover cable and a turbonet card.
    Image version is 3.0-01-1-000. I have access to Tivoweb but can't seem to start a Telnet session so I am currently using the serial cable to communicate.
    If you are using Windows telnet and failing try PuTTY.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

OK thanks. I had been using Putty but my problem seemed to be with the port I was specifying. I was using the index number for the network adapter found in system information. Using the default port seems to be doing the trick now. My DialPrefix parameter is still MIA, presumed dead . The new image is starting to sound like a good option.

Cheers
    Pastos