Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wired remote extender for Tivo?

Wired remote extender for Tivo?

Gidday all,

I'm keen to wire my new house up, and obviously it'd be nice to be able to watch Tivo from in bed.

But where's the fun if you can't also drive the thing from there? Dashing downstairs at the end of each programme kind of undermines the point of the whole exercise, and may create disturbing scenes for my neighbours as I flash past the windows...

There are various IR extenders for sale around the place, but all seem to be via a radio link... I've tried that before, without a lot of success. And since I'm running cables anyway, I'd like to do it properly.

I've scoured the net for a suitable circuit, and found a number, but also various references to Tivo being tricky to get working with them.

So, anyone solved this problem already?

Cheers,

Tony

check out the oztivo website and do a search. There were ideas for doing this on the mailing list a month or so back, using cat5 cable.

I've had success with the digitor GigaAir 2020 wireless video sender from dse.. 2.4ghz.. plows through 3 walls.. not a problem *also handles remote extension and has a range of @100 meters .. they were on special a while back $98

might be worth a look..
    US Series 1 Philips TiVo
    nzTiVo-Philips-Installer.img
    200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache, Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital, Auckland
    Hacks: TyServer, Manual Record & TivoTitle, TiVoX 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by deanm
    I've had success with the digitor GigaAir 2020 wireless video sender from dse.. 2.4ghz.. plows through 3 walls.. not a problem *also handles remote extension and has a range of @100 meters .. they were on special a while back $98

might be worth a look..

Oh yeah, should have mentioned that I have one of these too. Also got it on special for that price at DSE. Great minds think alike eh deanm?

No no no, guys... What you want to do is get another TiVo for the other room, run Cat5, and set the things up with Sanderton's conflict resolution hacks... Mmmmm.....

http://www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    No no no, guys... What you want to do is get another TiVo for the other room, run Cat5, and set the things up with Sanderton's conflict resolution hacks... Mmmmm.....

http://www.beaconhill.plus.com/TiVo/tivohacks.htm

Oh, I'm gonna do that too.. Except I'm renting so aint prepared to run cat 5 to the other end of the house. TiVo #2 will be connected to the Giga air with the conflict resolve and also the MFS Streaming from one tivo to another hooked up.

Slightly off topic, but Ed, have you had any joy capturing IR codes? I had a crack last night and failed miserably. My 2nd TiVo is now in a constant reboot loop and will require re-imaging (thank goodness it's a 'play' tivo and not being used at present)

Well, my experience wasn't so hot. I followed the instructions to the letter but never could get the box working (it was a newer Moto box for Sky). After dicking with it for a while, my mate (the esteemed Tony who started this here thread, and I don't say esteemed just because he's a station officer on the fire brigade and could run my *** off at training if he decides I'm annoying ) had a realization that his brother in law down the street had a Pace box, rang him up and traded 'em(10 minutes later our 2 hours of dicking with IR capture was all over). They got a newer box, he got a box that worked with existing codes, and I never pursued it any further. I was wondering if perhaps the newer Moto boxes do something different in their codes, but I've not yet had a chance to play with another.

I remember in some other thread somebody said you could ring Sky and for something like $30 they'd trade you out for a Pace box, I think at least a couple of folks have done this rather than screw with IR capture. Though if it was my box I'd probably keep it and make it work, just because I'd be annoyed otherwise.

Yeah I'm on saturn anyway. I'm experimienting getting something else running through it. Ah well..

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    I was wondering if perhaps the newer Moto boxes do something different in their codes, but I've not yet had a chance to play with another.
    What model Motorola are you guys having trouble with? It took me a little while but I managed to get mine working with the codes that were on Tim's site (it was mostly that the tcl wasn't complete).
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Wired remote extender

Quote Originally Posted by Tony

....There are various IR extenders for sale around the place, but all seem to be via a radio link... I've tried that before, without a lot of success. And since I'm running cables anyway, I'd like to do it properly.

I've scoured the net for a suitable circuit, and found a number, but also various references to Tivo being tricky to get working with them.

So, anyone solved this problem already?

Cheers,

Tony
    I have had a hard-wired system for a while using a kit from Jaycar Electronics, with the signal carried over 2 wires in the Cat5 network I put in the house when we built. It works fine for a variety of IR remotes including Sky, a VCR and a DVD player.

Now I have just got my new TiVo up & running, I was looking forward to it working with that too, but no such luck! It seems to register the remote's transmission, but no action at the TiVo end.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Colin
    Last edited by Colin; 11-12-2004 at 06:59 AM.