Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: NZTivo bbq

Tivo for sale

Hi I'm interested in a BBQ - (Auckland) but I must say that I don't think I will be holding on to my TIVO for long as I am moving on to a PC PVR ... .

Regards Greg

But WHY??

I used to use a PC DVR and it doesn't compare in any way to the quality of a TiVo!

Just curious

No AKL for me... I will be in Hamilton for NZNOG on 3-4 Feb, but dunno if I'd really have time for one then... C'est la vie eh?

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    I used to use a PC DVR and it doesn't compare in any way to the quality of a TiVo!
    Off topic
    I am inclinded to agree here... The issues I have with PC systems is with the noise and remote interface... while the remote interface issues have (on the whole) been resolved, there is still a problem with noise, heat and power consumption of a PC based solution. Quiet PC solutions are available but many video and tuner cards also have fans on them. If you are able to hide the PC away in a cupboard somewhere then it could be viable... However, you should also remember that a TiVo will consume about a tenth of the power of a high end PC solution.

If you are still keen on a PC soluton then you might like to have a look at the EPG collector mentioned here as well as the free PVR software mentioned here.

Why

MCE 2005 is very slick and I want a networked environment -the plan is to build 5 x PC DVR - dinning room,Kitchen,Kids,master bedroom , Wife PC and mine . Noise can be dealt to . I don't think quality is a issue anymore and the EPG is easy . The PC doesn't have to look like a PC - checkout the links to see what I mean - I have just spent a few weeks comparing all the flavours and I have decided to try MCE 2005.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/entry/373/move_over_tivo

http://www.arisetec.com/products/HT-400.htm

I hadn't thought about heat but in the particular installs heat is not a issue.
    Power consumption yes I expect that will be an issue but we do have a spa pool and everything pales in comparison to that sucker.

Also there are some interfaces to home automation you can do through MCE (I live in a smarthome)

If a series II could work in NZ I might reconcider.

Regards Greg

PS:I work in the broadcasting Industry (20 yrs ) as a video tape editor - not that there is much tape anymore
    Last edited by GregMoore; 12-01-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GregMoore
    and the EPG is easy .
    How do you mean easy? Easy to use?
    Since there is no EPG in NZ for MCE.

Talking

Not that I'm one to complain, but for tidy sake, do we want to move the MCE discussion into another thread and leave these for BBQs
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

Quote Originally Posted by tenty
    Not that I'm one to complain, but for tidy sake, do we want to move the MCE discussion into another thread and leave these for BBQs

Good Idea!

Wink

haha fighting a continuous battle Tenty... tho i agree with you.

single thread discussion model vs actual human conversation (different thoughts on same/similar/related subjects (ie tangents) but all related in a multitude of ways). It's a shame such software paradigms dont exist yet though wiki's are the closest thing to it I suppose.

but yeah. Reckon if u got something to say start a new thread and avoid diverging the current thread if you can. Hey i start new threads, and half time not even tivo related. LOL sorry. Always interesting when someone posts new thread, spurs a bit of activity at the least which is all good. It's fun, I like to know what other people are thinking or know

hmm nearly dinner time. bbq right about now sounds good

cya

TiM
    Last edited by timmy; 13-01-2005 at 08:03 PM.

Thumbs up

Hi,

BBQ yes damn good idea, Akld yes.. how about a pub somewhere central -it might at least stop it turning into a gearfeast!

I'm working up there fulltime at the moment - only getting home long enough in the weekend to download the next slice...

just to diverge back to MCE etc, I just converted an old laptop into MP3 server to sit alongside Tivo and the whole process reminded me how damn good tivo is.. )

While there is tons of great software, the laptop is quiet etc etc so should be perfect - but it is still clunky and crappy compared to tivo babee, silky smooth.. I reaffirmed my vows to the Tivo gods after that experience.

(sorry Tenty my hypermultithreading cpu couldn't spawn a new thread link)

* Why are your slice updates not automated? LOL on serial or something?
    Palmod +FTA + serial + no DSL till recently = incompatible with emulator = next project...
    Last edited by Grant; 17-01-2005 at 04:24 AM.