Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Can someone verify if /etc/tclient.conf (or more accurately the partition containing /etc) is read only by default? I don't recall running into the r/o issue, but then again if I did I know the solution and would just do it without thinking... If it's not r/o by default though then I'll need to modify the instructions to mention this...

Oh-and funny story about the FFWD article... Some weeks back, on my morning commute into Wellington from Plimmerton, a young fellow sat down next to me and started reading the magazine. He stopped at the Tivo article and read the whole thing, I was very tempted to lean over afterwords and introduce myself as the guy mentioned in the article, but didn't... Still, I found the small-world aspect of it amusing. And yes, I'm a bit of a reclusive geek in meatspace. Big surprise, eh? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    Have always used composite video out of the Sky box but tried to go S-Video using a SCART-RCA+S-Video adapter. One of the 2 SCART outs gave very jittery video and the other was stable but no colour (tested connected straight into the TV). Have I got a dud Sky box or is SCART out or the SCART-S-Video adapter just not a good idea? I got it from Jaycar and it has an input/output switch. Have gone back to composite and that looks pretty good for now.
    Hi there, I had mine perfectly set up with composite (I have almost the exact same setup as you - Linux/jetstream/pace sky STB). Then I thought, well Svideo is better than composite, right? So I got a scart with svideo + 2 rca out and used the s-video that george shipped with the tivo. You have to run guided setup to change the input. I then found the quality BAD, and grainy - could be my cables going from sky into tivo. So I then changed to composite into tivo - I had to run Guided setup AGAIN. And S-video from tivo to tv. THIS RESULTS IN JERKY VIDEO. So I changed back to composite and composite and all was sweet - and cursed myself for fixing it when it wasn't broke. You can re-run guided setup through tivoweb, or see the Guidedsetup 3.0 howto doc on minnie and find the bit re-doing guided setup. I don't know about anyone else with Pace boxes, but for me it was composite that gave the best results. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Can someone verify if /etc/tclient.conf (or more accurately the partition containing /etc) is read only by default? I don't recall running into the r/o issue, but then again if I did I know the solution and would just do it without thinking... If it's not r/o by default though then I'll need to modify the instructions to mention this...
    Yes I can confirm it is ro by default.
    Can someone post the FFWD link? I saw an online listener article, but that was after I stumbled across Oztivo which I frantically read to see CAN IT BE DONE!!?? (IN NZ...)
    However I had heard of tivo from years ago, but ruled it out... wasn't until the wife and I watched Sex and the city about 5-6 weeks ago and one of the girls was in love with her tivo, and the wife said - That looks great, oooh I want one!
    Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Ed, I can verify that the (latest) 3.0 oz release 1.3 iso sets up a /dev/hda4 partition that is mounted at / as read-only. /var and /hack are mounts for separate partitions mounted read-write. Hence, /etc is on /dev/hda4 and needs RW prior to editing or ftp'ing into and then RO after.

As my contribution to the effort, I intend to start over from scratch and carefully document a step by step howto for NZ conditions based on the emulator approach. I think non-linuxers will struggle a bit without something like that at current state of the art. It might be worth maintaining our own iso with that pesky IP address fixed???

In an email discussion with George of eksys while I was sorting out my order, I asked him if he had noticed increased interest from NZ (sent him a copy of the FFWD article). Without quoting sales numbers to these parts, he replied that he definitely had.

Will be interesting to see for how many the Sky+broadband+possibly linux+lazy $600+wow! stars align - tho' those obviously aren't the only possibilities. Can you get a count of unique connections to your emulator?

One other random thought - does anyone else think that the series 1 Philips front panel is a piece of absolutely classic design? I can't stop staring at it wedged there between my Denon HT receiver and DVD player. At 2 am this morning, I SWEAR the big black all-seeing eye winked at me.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    I don't know about anyone else with Pace boxes, but for me it was composite that gave the best results. Hope this helps.
    Yep, wasted a whole lot on S-Video cables etc. I'm going to call Sky anyway to get that $9/month second UHF STB deal ('cos ya just know there's gonna be tears while me and the 5 females in my household clash over channels) - so will see if I can get any sensible technical comment on the performance of their Pace SCARTs.

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    Can someone post the FFWD link?
    It's not online afaik. I've got it as a pdf if you want to share your email address. The mag itself is the current one in most any bookshop.

Hey Guys,

Clive, Im the only sad b**tard, at least your'e awake playing with the Tivo, Im awake trying to get the damn thing going...

Have had more success and a little more failure (what Im trying to do is to enjoy the JOURNEY not only the destination).

I have successfully changed the /etc/tclient.conf (using ro and rw and nano) and seemed to be getting closer. However after doing this I rebooted the Tivo, and got through to the dial screen, where after about 2 minutes it told me I was getting a dialing failure.

Could this be to do with the IP address thing, ie does this show that my Turbocard is not working afterall?

The card is flashing and lights appear on the Ethernet Switch but still no luck getting the IP address. Checking back in the instructions I see somewhere that I should run nic_install?!? Has this been my issue all along?

PS I too read the FFWD just how much commission are you on Hintzzzz?

I will be going home to play soon!!!

Marv

Try This Marv

Hi I have been down that track and in my circumstances when the light was running the connection was clean, when it was dead you needed to do the nic_install. The turbonet card boots up without help but if you have a cachecard TiVo needs to be told. Look on your router interface for the ip address for your TiVo, that will determine if you have a connection, then type the IP address for your TiVo into your browser and you should get tivoweb.
    If you are nano'ing with the drive in TiVo your network connection is perfik.

You have made I think an incorrect selection of source in guided setup as I also got a similiar error. Try Guided setup again. I am just a junior here and cant claim success in my own endeavours to get free to air through a PAL tuner but have acheived a very straight forward guided setup working perfectly for a sky decoder.

P.S. any help on FTA through an aerial connection would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    I have successfully changed the /etc/tclient.conf (using ro and rw and nano) and seemed to be getting closer. However after doing this I rebooted the Tivo, and got through to the dial screen, where after about 2 minutes it told me I was getting a dialing failure.

Could this be to do with the IP address thing, ie does this show that my Turbocard is not working afterall?
    Mate, I'm about half an hour ahead of you, so bear with me. First, I suggest you make sure that the edit produced the desired result. At a prompt type "cat /etc/tclient.conf | more", down arrow through to the line you changed and check that it reads exactly as Ed prescribed. I didn't use nano, as it did weird things with the formatting of comment lines (#) that had me gasping and I was itching to get through to tivo nirvana - instead I ftp'ed the file out to my linux box, edited it with something I understand (midnight commander) and ftp'ed it back.

The card is flashing and lights appear on the Ethernet Switch but still no luck getting the IP address. Checking back in the instructions I see somewhere that I should run nic_install?!? Has this been my issue all along?
    By "no luck getting the IP address" I take it you mean typing "ifconfig" returns you just a "lo" block of data but no "eth0" block??? If that's the situation then tivo cannot find a DHCP server on your network, which is bad. If you do get a "eth0" bunck of data the you have an IP address, its in the second line of the block prefixed with "inet addr:" Come back with more info.

I can't recall from your earlier posts what your network details are - are you using a TurboNet card and do you have a firewall/router out to JetStream? Lights (usually a green one) on a normal ethernet card mean that it has drivers loaded and detects a correctly wired connection to an ethernet node (eg switch) at the far end of the cable. Most also have a yellow light that flashes as data is transferred. Same basic deal at the switch end, as you've mentioned, so it should be sweet at the hardware level. Not sure about this turbo card thing but mine definitely had a green light that lit once I had a cable connected to my switch.

Hi Clive,

Thanks for the help and encouragement!

Sorry only just learnt about the ifconfig and I get this result:

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Bcast:127.255.255.255 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:3584 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0B:AD:10:10:10
    inet addr:0.0.0.0 Bcast:255.255.255.255 Mask:0.0.0.0
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:16 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 coll:0
    Interrupt:29

Interestingly enough if I ping 0.0.0.0 I get no answer hehehe...

My network is made up of WinXP, an Ethernet Switch and the Tivo. I am using (I think) ICS & the WinXP built in DHCP server thingy...

Im using a Turbonet Card supplied by George installed by yours truly (probably a bad thing) but it is definately slotted in correctly and when I have the cover of the Tivo it is lighted green on the corner of the card when powered on.

Marv