Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    Im stuck at the

Start off with the oztivo image, get it networked, and edit the file /etc/tclient.conf thus:

# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
    127::66.238.88.163:80:::
    Uh ... line one, right? ;-)

Presuming you have a Tivo with ethernet card, it includes a DHCP client so should appear on your network automagically.

To edit tclient.conf you need a telnet client to connect to your TiVo. Windows and Mac OS X have telnet clients on the command line (type telnet <your-tivo-ip>).

Edit the file with one of the several command-line editors on your Tivo -- nano is perhaps the easiest if you're not familiar with text editors. Type nano /etc/tclient.conf to enter text editing mode.

Setting up a Tivo does require a little familiarity with the Unix command line -- or at least it's much easier -- so if you have a Unix-savvy friend they'll probably be a big help.

Cheers
    Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks,

Yeah line one hehehe...

I have a Tivo with the Turbocard installed, ie slotted into the mobo. I presum e it loaded the info with the bootdisk?

Dumb question 1: When you say appear on the Network automagically can you explain?

Marv

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    Dumb question 1: When you say appear on the Network automagically can you explain?
    You need to get your tivo on a network so it can fetch the guide data occasionally. If you plug the ethernet card into a local network that has a DHCP server, the Tivo will be automagically assigned an address. Most ADSL routers etc include DHCP servers and will tell you what address the Tivo acquired.

If you have a different setup, then it's probably covered in the Oztivo wiki which has lots of info about various networking setups.

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...etwork/WebHome

Cheers
    Matt

I have a ethernet hub with 1 pc plugged into it... where do I look to find the address?

one way (there may be a better way but this what I did) is to use a port scanner (google for "angry ip scanner"), this will show all active IP addresses on your LAN, if you only have one PC and your hub is not a router then there will probably be only 2 valid addresses, your PC and the TIVO.. try connecting via telnet (I use the free PUTTY telnet client) or web browser to confirm.

If your hub has a dhcp server built in which gives out IPs, like a router of some sort, then it should be manageable by a web interface, so that it can be told what IP address it can allocate. Go into the web interface of the hub (if this is what you're sure is giving out IPs on your home network) and check to see what it has allocated/and what range it is.

If it tells you what it has allocated, then you're sweet - just use that address. Other wise go up one by one in the same range that your PC has been allocated e.g. 192.168.0.x

If your hub doesn't have a dhcp server built in, perhaps it is your PC that is giving out IPs, (say, by internet connection sharing - there for the above guess method will have to do).
    Or, you have a hub, (which is dumb i.e without server) and your PC is getting an internal IP from an ADSL router - therefore the method of web interface will work also...
    Hope this is clear.

Smile Sleep...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the help, I don't think my hub has a built in server, I think its the ICS giving out the IP's, Ive been trying the 1 by 1 checking and Im up to 192.168.0.70! I am told it only goes up to 255!

I will try the angry IP scanner thing, tonight when I get home from work.

I have done a few different things to try to get the IP,

- Tried using ipconfig in a Command Prompt
    - Tried using ipconfig /displaydns in the Command Prompt
    - Tried random pinging from 192.168.0.1 -.70 (so far!)
    - Tried pinging 192.168.0.255 - which Im told should give out a list of all IP's attached.

Im a little concerned that I have installed the thing wrong, however I get 3 green lights on the Ethernet Switch when the Tivo is powered up. Which I think shows something is there.

Ive just gotten hold of a cable that I will hopefully be able to do a serial network with, stand by for more questions on serial networking to the Tivo!!!

Another suggestion I have had is that I may be able to reconfigure the Turbo card once I can get in with the Serial cable...

Anyway I got some sleep last night first time in a few nights so things seem possible again!!! Shame I missed recording the Test match on Saturday, but we lost anyway, pretty sure I won't miss having that to remember in the future...

Thanks again for all the help,

Success first time through

Just wanted to sign in and introduce myself. Clive, Wellington, JetStream via a linux router/server, Sky Digital (Pace).

Like I suspect a number of people, I read the FFWD article and decided I just had to have one. After a couple of days of browsing around, I ordered the standard kit from George at eksys on a Friday, he shipped it the next day and it arrived on the Tuesday. I ordered a new 120GB HDD and got to start setting it all up this afternoon.

Started with Tim's TiVo howto for getting the OS image onto the HDD and getting it physically mounted. I then switched over to Ed's recipe at the top of this thread to go the emulator route. Finding the IP address leased to TiVo wasn't an issue - the linux box's dhcp leases file has the answer.

Stalled at the "edit /etc/tclient.conf" bit (the nano editor wouldn't save the edited file back to disk) until I found that the root partition is mounted read-only. So before writing anything back to that partition (including ftp'ing files onto that partition), we need to first do a "rw", then edit and save the file, then do a "ro" to make it read-only again. I see somewhere up this thread this is mentioned but it might be a bit subtle for some that follow. The Steve Jenkins networking howto explains all you need to know about partitions.

After that, the recipe runs pretty much as described, except near the bottom where the IR stuff just fell into place by following your nose through the setup wizard. Then the settime command per a later post and wait about 4 hours to index. A reboot and all is good.

Had some minor jittery video earlier but that seems to have gone now. Have always used composite video out of the Sky box but tried to go S-Video using a SCART-RCA+S-Video adapter. One of the 2 SCART outs gave very jittery video and the other was stable but no colour (tested connected straight into the TV). Have I got a dud Sky box or is SCART out or the SCART-S-Video adapter just not a good idea? I got it from Jaycar and it has an input/output switch. Have gone back to composite and that looks pretty good for now.

First impressions: 1. absolutely fabulous 2. you pioneers have done a fantastic job with this and 3. how did teenage daughter just pick the remote up and start using it and why can't I get it back now?

The VCR is now sitting sadly in the corner while the one-eyed wonder box sits quietly in its place ...

Clive

OK finally finally finally Im in!!!

I have got the tivo prompt on the Hyperterminal. I have played around and got the thing going and have even got to the point where I was using Nano to edit the file.

Couple of issues 1 Minor - Whatever I type into the Hyperterminal double prints, ie I press g and it shows gg, then when I press enter it goes back to one g, weird but not too bad.

Next thing I did was edited the Tclient file, played around with Nano learnt how to use it and when I went to save it says can't save - read only file!!!

Oops was half way through typing this and then came across your post Clive,,, You are a legend. Is it poss to do the RO RW thing over the Serial connection?

Marv

God we are sad b**tards. If you're in a telnet session - or I suppose using serial (don't know never tried it) - (ie you can run "nano" and edit a file), then all you have to do is type the command "rw" at the tivo command prompt BEFORE editing the file (thus making it writable), and then "ro" AFTER you're done saving it so as to set the partition back to "read-only".

Go to bed NOW, google for Steve Jenkins' network hack howto tomorrow and the mount thing will make more sense.

Clive