Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Emulator available

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    How about zip 02117 for the FTA? Would maintain consistency.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Sure (added the "hmmm's" cause I got this error, The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.)

could have typed out a little ditty jaidev (not to be confused with a little titty)

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    could have typed out a little ditty jaidev (not to be confused with a little titty)
    What's wrong with a little titty?

What's wrong with a little titty?
    Oh, don't get me wrong. A little titty is absolutely perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    Oh, don't get me wrong. A little titty is absolutely perfect!

I assume we are talking about Titty from Swallows and Amazons says he showing his age......

At the risk of being Bitchslapped can I ask if an NZ bootable CD for FTA setup is on the cards? I only ask as I have spent the last 2 hours attempting to get 3 computers to speak Linux long enough to stick the Oztivo image on my 120GB UK Tivo upgraded hard drive (sigh) must be having a blond day!

OzTiVo image changes to support TivoZA, nzTivo & nlTivo

Hi, I thought I would post this in the New Zealand forum as this has major benefits for nzTivo users who can hopefully fast-track a new ozTivo image release with these changes (assuming you/they feel this is as beneficial as I do). I have made a request for changes in the ozTivo image which can be viewed at (See update by TivoZA - 21 Oct 2005): http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...tsForNextImage

These changed would allow for standard installation of the ozTivo image to work for the TivoZA, nzTivo & nlTivo communities without requiring any fixes for clock warping and access the emulator would be as simple as comenting out one line and uncommenting another, thus you wouldn't even require a network connection to set up your TiVo. If you would like to discuss any of these changes I have created a new topic for this purpose: http://tivoza.nanfo.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14

My recommendations also include the use of emuProxyZA which allows for DNS emulator addresses, it also has the HTTP1/0 header fix that is current plaguing emuProxy2. I wasn't sure of the correct nzTivo emulator DNS addresses so have left them as IP addresses for now. Feel free to change them if you know the correct address. This should be of big benefit to the nzTivo community as I know that in the past there have been issues regarding change of emulator IP address.

Hope this is good news for the nzTivo community and that we can get a new image with the changes soon as this will greatly help out the TivoZA, nzTivo & nlTivo users.

NZ Tivo setup

I followed this excellent guide - thanks Ed - and managed to get my Tivo running happily again but ran into a snag with using the zip code mentioned for Saturn Cable (02115). I never got offered Saturn Cable as a choice - it just said there were no providers for this zip code. I re-did the guided setup and chose Sky instead which seems to work for Saturn as well.

One thing I would like to know is, can you change the IR code in a config file somewhere? I really don't want to go through Guided Setup again just to set the correct IR code for the Saturn General Instruments STB.

Thanks... Rick

Update 25 October 2005
    As of this date I no longer run the NZ emulator, it is now hosted by Wibble and DJC. The post below is preserved as instructions are still accurate for setup on the new emulator. However, this post will be deprecated once instructions for the newer oztivo images are posted.
    End update

I got the emulator runnning on my website over the weekend, so setup is considerably less painful. Various notes: guide data is coming from jaidev/tim, the only difference is it's coming through the service emulator. The headend slice is courtesy of jaidev (thanks!). AFAIK, if at some point in the future we (the nz types) migrate to another emulator, all one would need to do is edit tclient.conf to point at the new IP, but this is untested (as we've not yet had an emulator, let alone moved house from one to another). Regardless, I expect to leave the emulator functioning indefintely, so even if we find another solution later mine will continue to function (as long as I can still get guide data from jaidev/tim). As usual, use at your own risk, it works fine in my rather large test group of one, YMMV, if it blows up your TiVo, drinks all the beer in your 'fridge, and leaves dirty socks on the table it's not my fault...

Setup instructions as near as I can remember them:

Start off with the oztivo image, get it networked, and edit the file /etc/tclient.conf thus:

# This is for the server emulator on minnie.
    127::210.48.107.133:80:::

Instructions for editing files on the Tivo can be found here if needed. You can optionally setup DNS on the tivo and use either "www.pbp.net" or "emulator.caffeine.co.nz" at this stage (so that if the emulator moves IPs in the future you won't need to re-edit this file). This thread discusses the option.

Plug your tivo into the tv via the video out jack on the back. Reboot, run guided setup with the following options:

You'll see "TiVo Service Terms"

Press 'select' to go to next screen

"Program Source" Select Cable and press "Select"

"Zip Code" Enter 02113 if on SkyDigital, 02115 if on Saturn Cable

"Time Zone" Doesn't matter.. just select the first one (Eastern) and press Å*Select'

"Daylight Savings" select "no" and press "select" butto

"Area Code" Enter 002 and press 'Select'

"Phone Dialing Options" select 'no : continue' and press 'select'

"Setup Call" Press select to go past this screen

It will take a while to connect and do it's thing.

Let it do its thing (go make a coffee or play quake for a bit)

When finished press 'select'

"Dial In Numbers" choose 'none of the above' and press 'select'

"No local Numbers" choose 'sales and marketing program' and press Å*select'

"Cable box" select yes and press 'select'

"Cable Providers" choose 'Sky Digital Auckland' or 'Saturn' as appropriate and press 'select'

On the screen where it asks about how the box is connected, set to appropriate choice for your environment (either composite a/v in or s-video).

On cable box brand, you can try to see if yours is supported in the existing lists but it probably won't be. If it isn't just select some random one and let it go (I chose Motorola choice 1, 3 digit channel, no enter key, but any will do as you're going to replace it later anyway). I am told Saturn uses General Instruments 10006-fast.

Let it do it's daily call bit for guide data.

You're done with G/Setup, reboot.

Unless you got your cable box working in the step above (i.e. you're on Saturn with the Gen Instruments or you have a Pace decoder on Sky) you'll need to add your cable box IR codes. Presumably there will be an existing tcl script for your box. If not you need to make one, go to the oztivo site for instructions on how to do this. If there is an existing file, you can skip the first 6 steps of this document and start with 7 to load the codes.

After your reboot you should be up (though as always the machine will need to think for a few hours before it's really ready to run, but live tv and such will work fine).

Drop me a line with any questions or whatever. ed at hintz dot org

Update 18 Apr

An existing machine (installed via the command line/add channels bit) can be converted to the emulator with minimal fuss. Go into messages & setup:system reset, and choose "repeat guided setup". Then follow the instructions as above. I just did this with mine, and all existing recordings, season passes, and all items on the to-do list were preserved. Note of course that you will need to configure the tivo such that it will do guided setup (on the oztivo image this is done from tivoweb under the PAL/NTSC link, if using an older image you may need a different method of changing to NTSC or PAL+GS). The entire process took about an hour and a half.

Additionally, if you run guided setup in NTSC mode, the tivo seems to (reasonably) expect an NTSC signal, so you will need to provide it one in order to finish the setup. I used a Region 1 DVD, but any NTSC source will presumably do.

Update 1 May

IP address changed; webhost moved to new upstream providor.

Update 16 August

Added link for thread documenting how to edit files.

Update 17 August
    Note- if converting from loadguide/manual setup to emulator, as per the 18 Apr. update, you also need to edit tclient.conf (otherwise the Tivo will be talking to the Aussie emulator, and it won't work so hot...)

Update 1 October
    Added support for Saturn cable, modified instructions to reflect this.

Update 13 November
    IP address changed; webhost moved.

Update 16 November
    Added option for DNS.

Update 23 January '05
    IP address changed; webhost moved.

Update 25 October '05
    IP address changed; NZ emulator now provided by Wibble and DJC.

This can happen.. Did you do a clear and delete prgram data and to do list?

If that doesn't work, you may need to do a clear and delete everything (in which case you will lose recordings).

Hey There..

I made a slight edit to your post on that page, and added

02116 Pacific/Auckland

02116 is the zipcode for Saturn Digital.

Cheers,
    ZollyMonsta