Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Sky SCART S-Video

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    Seanoff.....

I had the exact same problem when I used S-video, after seeing what it was like with composite (pervect qual, same as sky) I ran guided setup again and went back to composite. Also, mixing Svid and composite results in jerky video. When on Svideo I tried using saturation settings as per the older tjv.info site, and this dulled down the over bright saturation but I noticed it was very grainy, and quite poor. Like I said, composite in and out solved all, and no saturation settings had to be altered.
    Hope this helps.
    But wait, there's more. Some poking around and I have solved the Sky Pace box SCART crap S-Video thing!!! Actually, Tim already had, I just re-read his whole howto for fun and noticed the solution lurking there in italics. Turns out the Sky box has a setup screen that configures exactly what sort of video signal comes out of the two SCARTs - cool. I felt that surely three of us couldn't have ended up with dud boxes.

While watching any channel, hit the big yellow circle button ie the ENTER button. Up pops a screen that has a number of stylie icons at the top. Scroll across to the little spanner at the left, scroll down to Advanced Setup, hit ENTER, and enter your pin (haha don't know your pin - try 0000 If not, call Sky). Aha! SCART Setup, ENTER then scroll to S-Video, ENTER, then S-Video again and ENTER. The first one sets the SCART labelled TV, the second the VCR one (though they are just labels). Cool eh? Plug in your S-Video cable and viola! Crispy clean colour, in my case noticably better than composite. Those SCARTS are flexible and hence require setup.

Now, back to reset my video input to S-Video on tivo (thank God it's Friday).

Let's keep pickin' away at this guys! I promise you it is definitely worth the effort.

Clive

Guide

Hey guys,

As requested by Clive, this is a first draft for a NZ Quick Start guide:
    http://nztivo.net/default.aspx/NZTivo.QuickStart
    What's the best way for me to do a few mods to this draft? Just hit edit and have at it?

Nice job there btw

Quote Originally Posted by clive
    But wait, there's more. Some poking around and I have solved the Sky Pace box SCART crap S-Video thing!!!
    Thanks Clive, yes I do think it is worth the effort (just in case someone gets the wrong impression),

BUT, I've always run my Sky with S-Video (and had the settings done like you say). So your solution doesn't help me (although it will help others).

I still have a TiVo picture that has a huge red shift and I don't know what to do with it. It's not that I have a hardware problem I don't think, as I have another TiVo here and it's the same.

Woe is me.

I must admit that the 2nd TiVo I have here looks sort of OK in it's real home. But it is connected there to an old TV and running composite (sorry Thomson!). I have a Sony 36" widescreen TV and the straight through Sky picture looks very good (but connected via S-Video which is inherently better than composite).

So probably one answer as other people suggest is to downgrade to composite as the TiVo settings seem right for it. I just won't give up just yet.
    Last edited by SeanOffShotgun; 16-08-2004 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Add note about composite
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    My question, I'm using my TiVo with Saturn Cable. 1. Will I be able to remove Sky channels that I do not have and add Saturn channels that aren't on the Sky lineup, manually or otherwise?

2. If I connect to Ed's emulator, then I take it that I won't need to manually run loadguide anymore as my TiVo will download the guide data each day when it makes the daily call?
    1. Yes, I suspect the easiest way will be to run Guided Setup again, following Ed's recipe at the top of this thread. Just one gotcha to avoid (as Ed hasn't edited his post yet): from the linux command prompt, do an "rw" before trying to edit /etc/tclient.conf and then an "ro" afterwards.

2. Oh yesssss!

Seanoff.....

I had the exact same problem when I used S-video, after seeing what it was like with composite (pervect qual, same as sky) I ran guided setup again and went back to composite. Also, mixing Svid and composite results in jerky video. When on Svideo I tried using saturation settings as per the older tjv.info site, and this dulled down the over bright saturation but I noticed it was very grainy, and quite poor. Like I said, composite in and out solved all, and no saturation settings had to be altered.
    Hope this helps.
    Have a read of Clive's post number 72 in this thread. This could help you improve your S-Video picture. I'm already set like that so I don't know what my solution is yet.

I would be interested to hear the result.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Seanoff: Yeah, I knew about the setup, still found the colours waaay off, and couldn't be bothered with the saturation settings... I have to more boxes coming next week, might try it out on a fresh on, instead of messing with the tivo that the missus has now gotten very protective over

Brucer: Would you be able to post more details on the wireless bridge? Was it purchased online? The cheapest I found was $156...but no sign of D-NET anywhere...

clive: Yep, Just click edit. I plan to do more work on it and have the mediawiki version up next week....

doh! did I say DNET? I meant DLINK and around $150 is about what I paid.

Quote Originally Posted by ehintz
    Oh, I forgot to add, you'll probably want to set the time on the Tivo, set it to localtime:

settime [YYYYMMDDhhmm[ss]]
    settime -rtc
    Howdy,

My TiVo is 12 hours behind NZ time (looking at it via telnet or on my TV screen) and try as I might I can't find a solution - using my own grey matter or by searching the OzTiVo Forums or OzTiVo sites.

Ed mentions in another post (#13 of the Newbie thread) that our TiVo's should run with GMT. So I do, in fact it's pretty hard not to since the rc scripts, cron and a guide data download will all set it back to GMT! So I guess it's meant to be GMT... I won't fight it.

If I set the time as quoted above it just gets changed again whenever I boot (rc scripts), or at 2:10am (fixtime.cron) and any time I do a guide data download.

I also followed Tim's 'Setting the TimeSync Up for New Zealand' from his website. But since I'd used 02113 (from Ed's instructions) I modified the postcodezones accordingly. Should I not have done all that?

I know there are other people out there that have the same problem. But some more clever person (than me) must have the solution. Can someone please give me a few pointers.

Thanks,

Sean.

----------------

Some more info...

when I do:

rtimetz -v 207.126.98.204 207.126.98.204 129.6.15.28 131.107.1.10

I get back:
    Our postcode is 02113. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
    Offset 0 for timezone GMT, daylight saving is 0

But it should say something like:
    Our postcode is 02113. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
    Offset 43200 for timezone NZST, daylight saving is 0

So there's the problem, but how to fix...

I suspected my /var/hack/zoneinfo/Pacific/Auckland could be bung so I binary FTP'd it again. But no luck there.
    Last edited by SeanOffShotgun; 14-08-2004 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Some more detail that might help....

Sean, I don't even bother with timezones, I have my tivo set to Timezone 0
    then set the time to local time using 'settime'. I haven't had a problem with that tivo for 2 years.. I just adjust it an hr for daylight savings.
    I have a dumbntpd running which syncs the TiVo time with itself.
    Suprisingly it keeps time better than my PC does..
    (however this is not a oztivo image, just a US 3.0 that I customised myself)

I suspect you have your tivo timezone set to GMT+12, you are then using 'settime' to set the the tivo clock to local time? When in fact you should be setting the time to GMT time, i.e 12hrs behind us. The tivo will then adjust the clock to local time, since it knows the offset via your timezone setting.. this should work fine with the emulator..

But then again I don't run V3 of the Oztivo image on any of my tivo's so I maybe talking crap :P
    Last edited by jaidev; 14-08-2004 at 08:40 PM.

The secret re time settings is not to touch them at all.. I had exactly the same problem (12 hours out regardless of installing "correct" timezone files and running timezoneadjust etc etc) until I re-imaged and left it alone, My Tivo now keeps perfect time all on its own.