Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Talking Stupid Tivo

Its ok im only bagging the STUPID TIVO until I get it going

Marv

Seanoff.....

I had the exact same problem when I used S-video, after seeing what it was like with composite (pervect qual, same as sky) I ran guided setup again and went back to composite. Also, mixing Svid and composite results in jerky video. When on Svideo I tried using saturation settings as per the older tjv.info site, and this dulled down the over bright saturation but I noticed it was very grainy, and quite poor. Like I said, composite in and out solved all, and no saturation settings had to be altered.
    Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marv
    2)Any reccommendations on a good router for a brainless twit with to much money to spend... Damn this STUPID TIVO better be good!

Marv
    I've got a Netgear DG824M ADSL/Wireless/Router/Firewall - no problems at all under Slack - can't guarantee for Windoze. Let it be the DHCP server, make sure that every other computer isn't trying to be, and away they go. My Tivo made itself right at home on the network from first boot.

You might as well get the wireless part as well - just in case. Mine is 802.11b which is faster than broadband and about half the price of 11g - fine for my needs. If you were going to spend a lot of time sending large picture or video files over your wireless network, think about 11g or beyond...

I have the turbonet card in the Tivo - I have just bought a cheapo wireless access point which I hope will bridge from my Jetstream to the Tivo without any holes in the wall - hopefully have time over the w/e to find out...

Brian

mmmm ADSL!

Ok thanks Brian,

I'll be off to Harvey Normans or similar to have a look tomorrow, Ive just got those sneaky bstards at Telecom to do my ADSL line thing for $100 ( 4-5 business days grrr), its a very good excuse to upgrade to Jetsurf... "Sorry honey I can't get the Tivo going unless I get a faster internet connection" what a shame huh?

Just a thought on the Wireless, even on the 802.11g isn't the video going to be crap?

Im working on the Tivo world record awarded to the person who spent the most time trying to get the thing going with no success...

Marv

Ok thanks Brian,

Just a thought on the Wireless, even on the 802.11g isn't the video going to be crap?

Marv
    The only think going over your network will be your guide data, every night at some ungodly hour, and the limiting speed for that will be your jetstream. Video streaming over networks is a whole other thing.

Before you deal with the pimply nerds at HN, check out

http://www.pricespy.co.nz/cat_18.html#g78

can save a few $$. A lot of these places deal over the net - I ordered my Tivo hard drive one night about midnight, and it was delivered by the time I got home from work the next day!

Brian

PS don't give up - without guide data (yet) my Tivo is just a way cool "VCR", but it is still way cool. I'm still watching a recorded programme while recording another - just because I can!!

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    I ran guided setup again and went back to composite.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

Hey Brian,

Thanks for the encouragement... sorry regarding the 11.g I was meaning for applications between networked pc's. I thought I had read somewhere that 11.g was ok for fairly sizeable files but no good for actual video ie streaming.

Before I go and spend the extra to get the wireless, how long is it likely to be you think before 11.g is replaced?

Im thinking of starting a new thread, just to drag in the one or two people that haven't already tried to help me. I must admit I am impressed with everyones patience... till this point.

Marv
    Marv

Hey Brian,

Before I go and spend the extra to get the wireless, how long is it likely to be you think before 11.g is replaced?

Marv
    I may not be the best person to ask - I am not an early adopter. I am sure that 11g will be supported for quite a while yet, with all the Intel support via Centrino and it's new mobos. How long till the next new kid on the block? Don't know, but if you were a gambler, you might suspect that it will be expensive and difficult/impossible to implement on old hardware/software.

Just to put the numbers in perspective remember that 11b tops out at (theoretically) 11Mbps (about the same as USB1.1); 11g is up to 54Mbps (yeah right); you need firewire to stream DVD quality - 400-800Mbps, and your Jetstream will prob be 256KILObits/sec (even full speed is only up to 2Mbps).Wireless real world speeds halve when you implement encryption, but at least my 11b network is soo weak someone would have to be inside my house before they could start hacking my network !!

My bottom line - 11b is fine for internet sharing and cheap enough that you don't feel too bad if you upgrade in six months.

Brian

Emulator

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm currently using loadguide and my TiVo is connecting to the oztivo site to keep it happy. They've made some changes to lineups so now my TiVo is giving me a 'lineup change' message each time it makes the daily call. So, it looks like I'll be switching to Ed's emulator this weekend.

My question, I'm using my TiVo with Saturn Cable. Will I be able to remove Sky channels that I do not have and add Saturn channels that aren't on the Sky lineup, manually or otherwise?

If I connect to Ed's emulator, then I take it that I won't need to manually run loadguide anymore as my TiVo will download the guide data each day when it makes the daily call?

Grant

Wireless

FWIW, I use a very cheap D-NET wireless bridge to connect my Tivo to my Wireless LAN (and the internet), plugging the TurboNet card into the wireless bridge worked out of the box, no setup, no hassles. 11b is perfect for connecting the Tivo to the internet and fine for copying files, there's just not enough bandwidth to watch streaming video from the TIVO on your PC.