Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Emulator available

Quote Originally Posted by brucer
    The secret re time settings is not to touch them at all.. I had exactly the same problem (12 hours out regardless of installing "correct" timezone files and running timezoneadjust etc etc) until I re-imaged and left it alone, My Tivo now keeps perfect time all on its own.
    Heh, heh, I was beginning to suspect something like that.

Just for fun (before I start again):

Can you maybe run rtimetz as below manually (the non -v [verbose] version runs at 2:10am via cron daily) and post your output?

rtimetz -v 207.126.98.204 207.126.98.204 129.6.15.28 131.107.1.0

Thanks.
    Last edited by SeanOffShotgun; 15-08-2004 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Incomplete
    Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

My timezone problems are fixed...

Thanks to Jaidev and Brucer for their suggestions.

I have now fixed the time on my TiVo. Contrary to the detail I gave previously, I HAD broken my postcodezones file. I imagine this happened on ftp (doubt it) or edit (windows and UNIX end of line differences, I should have seen that days ago) - the file looked OK and fixtivotime displayed a postcode match, but what it matched to wasn't Pacific/Auckland it was Pacific/Auckland<invisible character>, so I got no offset or NZST timezone from the Auckland file.

So now when I run fixtivotime I get exactly what pendantic me wants:
    (and when I reboot, or cron runs to sync time, or I do guide data update... it's stays correct)

[TiVo [p0] ~]# fixtivotime
    Our postcode is 02113. Found matching timezone Pacific/Auckland
    Offset 43200 for timezone NZST, daylight saving is 0
    Connecting to time server 207.126.98.204
    t was 3301642873 from server
    t is now 1092697273
    Time is 2004-08-16 23:01:13
    Time set to: Mon Aug 16 23:01:13 2004
    Have a nice day.
    Time set to: Mon Aug 16 23:01:13 2004
    Have a nice day.

Why I am writing all this you ask. Because it'll probably happen to someone else (maybe).

Meat, beer, ... what more could a kid ask for? Of course... a TiVo! What were my parents thinking?

(windows and UNIX end of line differences, I should have seen that days ago)
    oh god you guys are getting stuck with this stuff?

hehe sorry man this stuff should have been pulled out of the threads and properly documented. hey wait... that was in my tivo doc? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by timmy
    oh god you guys are getting stuck with this stuff?

hehe sorry man this stuff should have been pulled out of the threads and properly documented. hey wait... that was in my tivo doc? LOL
    Timmy,

No, the solution wasn't in your TiVo doc - but I can't expect you to cater for every silly thing that I might do!

A shame for me you haven't been around on the forum lately.

I did consider the postcodes file as the problem early on, I just didn't investigate properly (I read about the problem/solution in another post - no-one can ever say I post asking for help before I've done some digging).

Lots of years have past since I last did any UNIX. Luckily I can say that (although I created it) I fixed this problem myself. The well meaning help I did get on the forum was unfortunately no help.

While we're on the topic of documentation...
    Would it make sense that you remove the instructions about loadguide you have in your howto? Is loadguide used by any newbie for any reason?

I've previously offered to write a new doc after I've got through all the set-up. (I think just a poor picture quality with S-Video to fix now). Do I have your permission and Ed's of course to plagarise your documentation?

I guess that the difference between the forum's documentation and mine is about the same as the difference between the forum's UNIX skill/experience and mine.

Now I LOL,

Keep up the good work.

Happily,

Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanOffShotgun
    I've previously offered to write a new doc after I've got through all the set-up. (I think just a poor picture quality with S-Video to fix now). Do I have your permission and Ed's of course to plagarise your documentation?
    By all means, please do. Half mine's plagarized from somebody else anyway... Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

Note that if you using windows the text file must be in unix format to work, you will need to either use a text editor that saves in the correct format (eg edit pad lite) or open it up in a text editor after you have uploaded it.
    heh that was from my faq, maybe not that descriptive enuf. But that faq is old granted, just wanted to prove a point, haha anyway.

A shame for me you haven't been around on the forum lately.
    yeah busy working on work stuff and guide data stuff too.

The new wiki will be up in a few days. I suggest you help to work on it
    I know I will try and do my part and I hope it suceeds in being the definitive source of answers for new users.

u got there tho eh

regards,

TiM

Sean...
    Thanks for your pvt msg re Auckland timezone. I have now got this working, which has flumoxed me a tad. Mainly because I was very careful how I downloded it (from 1 linux PC to the tivo) I had altered the postcodesones file ages ago, when I did this, I was out by 12 hours (GMT). I also tried to get the Auckland timezone file from my own linux PC, and had the same result. Perhaps at one stage I had used timezoneadj30.tcl and put it on GMT+12... but who knows. (This should be set to 7 - GMT)
    I think it really comes down to the file getting warped whilst downloading it.
    The success came after I used the wget command straight from Tivo to download it, I only then chmod'd it to 666. Make sure postcodezones is edited to have Auckland as 02113 postcode. Here is the wget command for anyone interested:
    wget -t 5 -nv -nd -S -na /var/log/wget.log http://216.58.174.22/tjvinfo/tivo/Auckland

Thanks again Sean for prompting me to try again!
    Last edited by fixxer37; 17-08-2004 at 07:37 AM.

Emulator doesn't load nztivo.slice.
    Okay so I've been running LOADGUIDE with success, but heard that this was now redundant since the emulator came along. I am running with the emulator, and can see thru tivoweb that it makes the 'call'. However I can't see it getting ANY guidedata, and I haven't LOADGUIDE'D since last week just to make sure. My guide data doesn't go past tomorrow.
    Can someone confirm the lack of LOADGUIDE requirement once running on emulator? My cron is working, however LOADGUIDE does not do anything when run from cron. Running it from shell is fine.
    BTW the new Wiki is coming along nicely, we just need to cull down the mediawiki auto-information (useless info, nav bars, page discussions etc) to make more 'clean' and friendly. Most info from Tim's tjv.org.nz site was transferred, updated and edited, and anything else relevant from the nztivo wiki. A lot of stuff taken from ozTivo, cos, well how else do you word things when it's their image!? ;-) Credit is noted where credit is due to them tho. We'll all slowly rebuild it to be our own, as well as an image, as Tim suggested in the other thread.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by fixxer37
    Emulator doesn't load nztivo.slice.
    Okay so I've been running LOADGUIDE with success, but heard that this was now redundant since the emulator came along. I am running with the emulator, and can see thru tivoweb that it makes the 'call'. However I can't see it getting ANY guidedata, and I haven't LOADGUIDE'D since last week just to make sure. My guide data doesn't go past tomorrow.
    Can someone confirm the lack of LOADGUIDE requirement once running on emulator?
    It's unclear from your post exactly what was done... But what needs to be done to convert from loadguide to emulator is 1: edit tclient.conf to point at the NZ emulator, 2: on the TiVo onscreen GUI, go to messages & setup:system reset, and choose "repeat guided setup", then follow the usual instructions...

Hi,
    Yes, I've been running on the emulator for 3 weeks now. The only thing I can think of, is I had it running once when I first got my tivo with non-emulator settings, then saw that from this thread that an emulator was available, made the change to tclient and re-ran the GS. I have the opportunity to do a fresh build in the next few days, with the emulator from the start - and will see if I have success this time.