Thread: Tivo & Turbonet Card

Smile Tivo & Turbonet Card

Sorry about these very basic questions as i am very new to the whole tivo concept but it sounds great so i want to get in on it!

I emailed george and asked for a price on a tivo delivered etc but was wondering if i need a turbonet card to getting it running in oz?

I read somewhere that you need it for your guide data, cant you just get the inbuilt modem to dial your internet connection and recieve the data that way?

Thankyou in advance for your help

Cheers

You don't _need_ a network card, but it can make life a lot easier for getting files across and of course, for retrieving video files off your TiVO.

Yes, you can easily set up your tivo to use it's inbuilt modem (Have the modem checked before you purchase the TiVo) and check that your ISP will support PAP (?) connections.

I have my two tivos connecting to my ISP individually via their in built modems no problems.

Good Luck
    ZollyMonsta

can you just attach your tivo to your pc via a serial cable? and do you need to network your tivo to a pc to set it up to call your isp?

any help would be appreciated

cheers

Hi asokol,

Yes. You will need a serial cable to get to the TiVo command prompt to configure the ISP connection. You can use programs like minicom (on *nix) or Hyperterm (on Windows) to do this.

That's all you'd need - meaning you don't have to set up a SerialPPP connection although that is another way to get the guide data without a network card. If the modem method doesn't work you've still got this as a possibility before having to buy a network card.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Dave.
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes