Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wired remote extender for Tivo?

Xantech Remote Control Extender

Xantech remote extender is the only reliable way to do it. You'll need to find a good audio store that sells them.

Multiple receviers around the house, output to the tivo and it works without failure. Runs of any three cores of cable.

If you want, I can post the part numbers of the parts required.

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - 200Gb Western Digital Drive
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Thanks. Part numbers would be helpful.

Colin

US Phillips Series 1 TiVo
    OzTivo Image 1.3; 200GB Seagate HD; CacheCard w 512MB
    Pace Sky STB

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate more details too, drew a blank some time ago when I first asked.

By the way, I have a wireless extender that works OK (Tivo remote doesn't really, but the basic pictures and sound are OK) but unfortunately it just don't play nice with my 802.11g network... subtle problem actually, everything worked, but wireless network range is halved (man was I happy when I figured THAT one out!).

Geeze I'm turning into a *severe* geek...

Cheers,

Tony

Wired remote links

Hi all,

Have found out a bit about the remote extender mentioned above...

Xantech's own website:-
    http://www.xantech.com/

NZ Distributers:-
    http://www.avd.co.nz/Products/Xantech.aspx

One NZ suppliers' Xantech pages:-
    http://www.supremeantennas.co.nz/pro...uct.php?id=602

Another one (recommended by me from good past business contact):-
    http://www.sandman.co.nz/

Another recommended manufacturer:-
    http://www.axium.co.nz/default.htm

And their system's instal manual:-
    http://www.axium.co.nz/downloads/con...tion-brief.doc

Pretty bloody expensive though! Around $300 per pickup sensor, $150ish for the rest of the system. The Axium system mentioned above is a bit cheaper ($200 ish for each sensor), and is an NZ manufacturer, though not Tivo-tested as far as I know.

Would be really nice to find plans to build something, surely not rocket science... I've done a big trawl online without finding anything that definitely speaks Tivo. Anyone done better?

Cheers,

Tony

Xantech Part Numbers

Hi, I see someone found the Xantech details, here is what I got...

Xantech Dual Mini emitter High Output - p/n:282M/RP
    > The emitters, mount around or on the equipment you want to control, these emit the IR signal to the Tivo, or whatever device you want to control. The four output controller, allows up to four of these but in practice, the light strength and multi-directional ability one pair is more than sufficent.

Xantech CFL Friendly Dinky Link - p/n:480-80B
    > These are the most expensive part of the setup, they receive the signal. Multiple receivers can be installed, the CFL Friendly ones are less affected by Sunlight or flourescent light.

Xantech Single Zone Controller with 4 Outputs - p/n:789-44
    > The zone controller ties everything together, this is the base model, from here it steps up to multi-zone models, but in most cases for a fairly low-end setup this would be more than sufficent.

Xantech Power Supply Small 200Ma - p/n:781-RG
    > Power supply for above.

I've been using this setup successfully for about 6 months now, I have installed Dinky Links in all the rooms that have a TV, so all the Audio Equipment, including TIVO, DVD and VCR, SKY can be controlled from any room with a TV. The only trick is getting used to pointing the remote at the TV to control everything, instead of having to walk to the other end of the house to change channels. Best investment next to the Tivo.

If you want to know any more, let me know, I can also probably get you prices if your interested.

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Hi Waynez,

I'd definitely like to know what sort of prices you managed to get... did you fork out $300 for each receiver unit?

May be just me, but that sounds HORRIBLY expensive compared to... well, anything really!

If you got 'em cheaper, could you tell us where?

Cheers!

Tony

Red face Xantech Prices

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. From memory the receivers were around the $190 mark, the emitters $30 and the single zone controller and powersupply $130 odd. Would need to confirm all those prices but it was around that price.

I had in the past tried other various options, Jaycar make a wired extender that worked ok, but failed to recognise the tivo remote. I have also read about wireless devie that can be placed around the house to distribute the signal.

The Xantech system works reliably, doesn't need any configuration, and works well when controlling all the devices from outside on the deck, in the bedrooms, in the main family room or in the main lounge. ie It's fairly tolarant of UV from the Sun and flourecent lighting, and works reliably with many different remotes. ( 16 remotes in total last count )

I guess it comes down to how much your prepared to pay versus the amont of frustration your prepared to put up with when it doesn't work.

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Thanks Wayne,

Yes, I guess you're right. And its not like its something you have to do every five minutes.

Can you tell us where you bought the bits from though? The prices you mentioned are substancially cheaper than any I have seen.

Cheers,

Tony

jaycar remote extender

I have had a hard-wired system for a while using a kit from Jaycar Electronics, with the signal carried over 2 wires in the Cat5 network I put in the house when we built. It works fine for a variety of IR remotes including Sky, a VCR and a DVD player.
    I have the JayCar wired remote extender and my tivo remote works fine. i have them hooked up with a length of cat5 cable and all works well.

Hi Shane,

Is that this one (world's longest URL!)...

http://www1.jaycar.co.nz/productView...Max=&SUBCATID=

Cheers,

Tony