Thread: Stylah

Stylah

Stylah,

Did anyone happen to see at the Auckland Home show a new product called 'Stylah'. Basically a Multimedia PC, running Microsoft Media Centre, interesting looking piece of kit.

The most interesting bit was that they will have full guide data available for all channels in October. Now they weren't to clear, or giving anything away, but it would appear that Telecom has something to do with it, I'm not sure, maybe someone else knows more.

But given that they will be getting Guide Data, and they assured me it would be free, as in no subscription required, once it becomes available, I would't imagine it to be too hard to .......

anyway, details.... www.stylah.com

Prologue LX - $5995 - The flag ship model, does everything and anything

Prologue L - $3250 - Entry level box.

Prologue DR - $???? - this is for remote operation in a diferent room via wifi or cable

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - 200Gb Western Digital Drive
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Thumbs up

hmm well acording to the domain registration the guy behind this is Tim Barnaby. A google search found this article..

Home Technology … why now?
    Tim Barnaby
    http://www.nzcs.org.nz/SITE_Default/...s/WEBNET04.asp

So at least it isn't run by a crackpot...
    Be interesting to see how this develops

[rant: Any competition at all in this sphere is a very good thing indeed, even if it is running M$ media centre and involving telescum, lol]

TiM

LOL they don't even have proper photos of these units on the stylah webpage. Only computer simulated pictures.

I have seen it, and it was working, kinda cool, big as fluro display on the front, so you can drive it without having the tv turned on.

Very tall.... about twice the height of a Series 1 Tivo. But apparantly, has no fans in it, so it's quiet.

Supports up to 1Tb of storage.

I'll scan the advertising brochure and put it up somewhere. Has a lot more information than the web site.

Interesting about the Guide Data though, can't find any mention of anybody talking about TVNZ, TV3 or SKY making that available, especially for free, but as you say, that al good for us. Bring it on.....

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

I doubt very much Sky would make their data accessible in a format that would benefit another buisness (such as this unit).

Unless of course they are employing staff to manually enter the data themselves, which is a possibility.

lol I can see it now, your $6K receiver bluescreening..

And you have to really wonder with all of Microsofts boffins, the easiest way to fix blue screen problems...... force down a patch, selecting a random background color, when it crashes..... no more blue screens...... hahahahahahaha

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jaidev
    lol I can see it now, your $6K receiver bluescreening..
    Now now... blue screens of death (or BSOD for short) aren't that common with XP, and even if it happens, it's an "undocumented feature" of the $6k reciever not to mention the fact that someone will be able to take control of your computer if you don't install all 214 patches

Cynical of Micro$oft, yeah :P
    and just to top it off, click here for a cool comic strip
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA

LOL good cartoon

Yep, I've never seen a BSOD once on Windows XP and I've been running it for quite a while now

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by zollymonsta
    LOL good cartoon

Yep, I've never seen a BSOD once on Windows XP and I've been running it for quite a while now
    Not to get too much off topic, but You haven't been working with 15 to 18 year olds and laptops at a school... Not a day goes by without a BSOD
    Ex Tivo Owner.
    Philips Tivo
    Version 1.3 Emulator Image from Minnie
    200Gig Western Digital HDD
    No Turbonet or Cachecard
    Slices: Cable Digital FTA