Thread: Flashing green LED and no display on screen - transfering drive into another unit

Flashing green LED and no display on screen - transfering drive into another unit

Looks like my 10year old re chipped Tivo has kicked the bucket.

From the research I have done it looks like its a board failure, possibly RAM? I plan to get another complete re-chipped unit instead of trying to have this one fixed. Unless there is an easy fix for this problem?

I have a 2TB drive which I dont want to lose recordings, is there an easy way to just transplant the drive into a new re-chipped unit?

I strongly suspect that your recordings will not transfer as to make a drive work on a different board you have to clear and delete all (including recorded content). You may be able to view the content without a clear and delete but most of the other functionality will be lost.
    Darren King will know the full answer and may be able to repair your original TiVo.
    If you faulty unit has a functioning MAK this would increase the advantage of repair as with this you could transfer your recorded content to a safer place.

Thanks for that, I will see first if the Tivo is going to be a quick easy fix.

Correct you’ll lose all recordings and the MAK (if it has one) if the hard drive is put in another TiVo.

Yes the problem is RAM and is absolutely repairable but will require extremely precise soldering and a source of replacement RAM. Feel free to email me if you want to get it repaired.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!