Thread: State of OzTivo in 2020?

State of OzTivo in 2020?

Hi everyone, I'm new here & also new to Tivo!
    Excuse the long post below, it's a bit of a braindump after 1 week researching and owning a Tivo for only 1 week.

I'm an ex-Fetch mighty owner. The hard drive died and I wanted something cheap, and that had the option of replacing a HDD out vs having to buy a whole new unit. Fetch kind of lost me there with that last point. I don't feel like a dead HDD should equal the death of the whole Mighty. But anyway...

I recently picked up a Series 3 320gb model with a wifi module and remote for $20 secondhand. Chuffed at that deal.
    Have a spare old WD 1TB Sata drive to hopefully swap in soon.

Love the Tivo menu, interface and remote. The FF seems to be on par with Fetch, and I look forward to a Oztivo mod soon, which will apparently give 30 second ad skipping.

Unsure what features do and don't work on Oztivo (suggestions recordings, favourite actor/search recordings, other Tivo features from when mothership was Tivo).

I've been digging into the forums a bit, but thought maybe some people on here might have some helpful tips and tricks, besides getting a Oztivo mod. It appears there is no real summary or overview video about Oztivo on Youtube. Maybe there is, but I couldn't really find anything.

Maybe we can all start a thread about the "best of" or still relevant Oztivo things to know about? How do you use your Tivo day to day, just curious if there's some things I'm missing out on.

So far I'm loving the Tivo interface but will hopefully be getting the unit modified in the next few weeks. Bring on that EPG goodness!

Will a Oztivo allow for the HNP and generate a MAK, to allow transferring between a computer and Tivo?
    What's the best way to program a remote these days with codes? Sign up to the wiki? Use some software, or a database?

I'm running a iPod HiFi as our TV speaker system via aux/3.5mm and currently use a Bauhn Tv.
    So all up there's 3 remotes in play here. Hoping to possibly get the iPod remote programmed into the Tivo remote if at all possible. It's a regular apple one from yesteryear which is white plastic with IR.

So far I've:
    • Tracked down a local friendly modder
    • Signed up to the newsletter/newsgroup (well, sent a request email at least!)
    • Have started to read about Roxio toast on the macintosh, pytivo, winmfs, and the Home Networking Package.
    • Become a bit unsure if I can actually help out with the EPG volunteering, or if I'd even be needed in 2020 to aid with "slices" (spelling?)
    • Had a quick look at the wiki and the IR section, but I'm not a wiki member yet. Unsure if that is needed or if that info is no longer 2020 relevant.

Fetch vs. Tivo
    Missing the Fetch Mighty feature of "Top Shows" which had all upcoming FTA movies, but have replaced that by finding a online TV guide and filtering to just "Movies" for the next 2 weeks. Maybe there's an app out there, or a better webpage to do that in 2020? Not the end of the world.

I don't really miss the Fetch Catchup or Streaming apps, as I can just HDMI my laptop to the Tv fairly easily.

A big plus for the Tivo is it just has a fun personality to it with both UI and Sound effects. Got to love the "Bong" drum when you do something wrong or hit the end of a menu list. Long live skeuomorphism.

Please feel free to advise on any threads, software, tips and tricks.
    Also, I hope this post is in the right area. Feel free to let me know if it isn't.

Happy Tivo'ing everyone!

exFetch

tl;dr
    How are you using your Oztivo in 2020, & do you have any advice or links/software to reccomend for a semi competent Tivo newbie?

Welcome aboard! Sorry nobody has replied earlier. The answers to most of your questions are contained in https://www.oztivo.net/twiki6/bin/view/Main/WebHome. I hope you have read them so far.

Hi thanks for the reply, yes I managed to track down a fair bit of info since I last posted. I've been having no guide data available for 2 days now.. have you got any ideas on how to force an update to download? Or should I power cycle my Tivo at the wall?

Any help would be great!

G'day exfetch.

Did you get your program guide data working?

Quote Originally Posted by cpab View Post
    G'day exfetch.

Did you get your program guide data working?
    Hi there, yes I did in the end, thanks for following up.
    The NBN was dropping out, so once my ISP did some back end things, the guide updated

(downloads were dropping out, so I think only partial guide data downloaded... does it auto renew around 3am each morning?)

Merry xmas!

Quote Originally Posted by exfetch View Post
    Hi there, yes I did in the end, thanks for following up.
    The NBN was dropping out, so once my ISP did some back end things, the guide updated

(downloads were dropping out, so I think only partial guide data downloaded... does it auto renew around 3am each morning?)

Merry xmas!
    G'day exfetch.

Tivos automatically connect about every 25 hours or so.

If you go to Tivo Central - Messages & Settings - Settings - Network - the 'Next attempt' and 'Last attempt' and 'Last status' will let you know how often your Tivo connects automatically.

You can at anytime 'Connect to the Tivo Service now', when you're trying to sort connection issues.

By the way, how are you feeling about Tivos now, in light of the audio issues with ABC and SBS HD channels?

I'm in the process of providing a Tivo to a keen enthusiast, but just noticed others' 'doubt' on Tivo compared to Fetch, on other thread.

I have to inform my customer of this audio problem, unless and even if Matt Callow and testers come up with a fix soon.

Happy New Year

G'day exfetch.

Tivos automatically connect about every 25 hours or so.

If you go to Tivo Central - Messages & Settings - Settings - Network - the 'Next attempt' and 'Last attempt' and 'Last status' will let you know how often your Tivo connects automatically.

You can at anytime 'Connect to the Tivo Service now', when you're trying to sort connection issues.

By the way, how are you feeling about Tivos now, in light of the audio issues with ABC and SBS HD channels?

I'm in the process of providing a Tivo to a keen enthusiast, but just noticed others' 'doubt' on Tivo compared to Fetch, on other thread.

I have to inform my customer of this audio problem, unless and even if Matt Callow and testers come up with a fix soon.

Happy New Year
    My household seems to hate the audio glitches, I put up with it.
    It's a bit annoying.. but what can you do.
    Thanks for message settings.

I actually get people regularly email me asking to come BACK to TiVo after being disappointed with Fetch. I run both and fix both now so no bias here.

Personal taste I guess. [shrugs]
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!