Thread: Connecting to OzTivo

Connecting to OzTivo

Hi
    A couple of months ago I bought a Tivo that was advertised on Gumtree to replace my existing Tivo as I couldn't find anyone in Tasmania to upgrade it to Oztivo.

It was sold as being updated to OzTivo and was owned by an elderly couple. I have no reason to disbelieve that it had not been updated and if you saw the careful way they packaged it you would understand why.

So, I thought I'd be clever and just unplug my old Tivo and use all the existing cables to plug in the new one. It didn't work.

So I joined Oztivo hoping to get some assistance. The Mak number was supplied with the OzTivo set and I still have the Tivo desktop on my computer.

Could someone please tell me how to connect. I've searched and searched the site to no avail. Even better, if you know someone in Tasmania, preferably the north, who can upgrade my old Tivo I would happily take it to them and pay the upgrade costs.

Thanks a lot.

Warm regards

Carole

First
    If your original TiVo and the new one both have MAK numbers ensure you don't do anything that will delete them as you will not get another MAK. ie. don't do a Clear and Delete All or swap hard drives between TiVos.

Second
    If you don't get any assistance from here I recommend you contact Darren King. http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

Connecting to OzTiVo

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    First
    If your original TiVo and the new one both have MAK numbers ensure you don't do anything that will delete them as you will not get another MAK. ie. don't do a Clear and Delete All or swap hard drives between TiVos.

Second
    If you don't get any assistance from here I recommend you contact Darren King. http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs
    Thank you for your prompt assistance. I haven't Cleared or Deleted anything so I still have both MAK numbers.

I have sent an email to Darren asking him if he can connect the updated TiVo to OzTiVo before I send him the one that isn't updated. I'll provide feedback.

What really surprised me was when I asked around ALL local electronic stores in Launceston was at best the sort of disdain I was shown that I was still using TiVo, at worst they didn't know what it was. Obviously they don't know what a fabulous piece of equipment it is.

Cheers

Carole

As Darren is involved it might be worth asking him if he could make a backup of the drive so that should you have one fail in the future you will be able to retain you MAK numbers. If you aren't using the MAK functionality there has been people lamenting the loss of theirs so might be wanting to swap or buy one.

We've been emailing the last couple of days. Any TiVo I get on my bench which has a MAK gets returned with a CD in one of those paper envelopes taped to the bottom of the TiVo with the WinMFS backup of the truncated software, bootpage and kernel and a copy of WinMFS. That all fits nicely on a regular CD and I do it at no cost.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thumbs up

Excellent as always Darren.