Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: palmod_config colour settings

I am probably a little fussy as it is looking a lot better but I am still going to keep trying because there is a difference (mainly that "glossy" look you have with sky digital) that seems to have gone with the TiVo in line
    You'll never get that sharp image with a Series 1 Tivo, the MPEG compression used by the Tivo degrades the image (& sound) quality quite noticeably.. The newer "DirecTIVO" units don't re-compress but just store the digital stream so there is no change in quality.

Composite ...

brightness=125 contrast=70 saturation=75 avbrightness=125
    avcontrast=67 avsaturation=85 screenwidth=720 dualaudioinput=0
    tunertype=0 horizontalshift=195

I've got my screenwidth set to full PAL horizontal resolution ... anyone else doing this?

Whoo whoo, thank for the mod. It'll certainly speed up the process :-)

Quote Originally Posted by thomson
    Okay, I have slightly modified the attached version of palmod.o (which should be placed in /lib/modules) so that it will only reset the picture settings when channels (or inputs) are changed.

Quote Originally Posted by DJC
    I've got my screenwidth set to full PAL horizontal resolution ... anyone else doing this?
    Hi DJC,

I've tried setting to full resolution (720x576) in conjunction with my Saturn set top box. But I get a video flickering at the bottom of the screen in both live tv and recordings.

Not sure wether it's something with the TiVo not liking the set top box video or something else. So for now I'm set on 544x576. I'll be trying full resolution on Saturn Digital Cable when it becomes available.

If you're going to look at increasing the capture resolution you'll probably need to increase the bitrate as well. Otherwise you're just be squeezing more resolution into the same size pipe. This will result in as many if not more artifacts.

I've increased the bitrate rather than the resolution at this point on the basis that the mpeg2 compression trying to squeeze things into the given bandwidth may be the greater factor affecting quality.

Found my TiVo started stuttering slightly during fast-forwards at around 6200000 and during playback at 6500000. This represents about a 5-10% increase which is pretty marginal considering the increase in resolution from 544 to 720 represents something like 30% more data being squeezed into the pipe.

Guess it comes down to whether a limited sampling resolution has a greater impact on quality that the mpeg2 compression being asked to squeeze things down more.