Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Where did my future program data go?

I'm keen to have a crack at setting up an emulator.....
    could you point me in the right direction I'll have a go and see what I can do

If you have some links to how to setup an emulator, or how to get the guide data Ill have a go.

Cool! Well unfortunately I dont know jack about the emulator but Jaidev is a bit of an authority and Ed can help you out too. Seriously this would be good to document on the new wiki (just about there.. www.nztivo.net).
    I'm sure oztivo archives probably have some good info and no doubt there are webpages documenting it all. buzz jaidev for this he should be able to get you started..

There was some mention a while ago about setting up a guide data website, may be an option to allow certain members to go in, add to the guide data, ensure it's accuracy as much as possible, and then create a tivo slice????
    Probably another one of my undelivered promises, lol. Or oztivo.. lol.
    Sounds like ideas for the new system, hehe. It'd be great if anyone could grab the data needed to make a slice, then we could have a few guys with emulators all making slices and the rest of the masses can just take their pick as to what emulator they want to connect to..

TiM

sweet

I'll carry on in your new thread......

Tivo Philips Series 1
    - 200Gb Western Digital Drive
    - Turbo Net Card
    - Sky TV - Pace Digibox
    - Sky Digital, Auckland
    tyServer, yac

Emulator 101

Quote Originally Posted by waynez
    could you point me in the right direction I'll have a go and see what I can do

If you have some links to how to setup an emulator, or how to get the guide data Ill have a go.
    OK boys and girls, start your engines ... and point your browser to http://www.tivocanada.com

Seems the Canadians have have blazed a bit of a trail and there is a setup guide on emulators there. I printed the 53 pages a couple of days ago and have started browsing through (try http://www.tivocanada.com/long/index.php for a printer friendly version). If you've done any Linux compiling from source, you'll be right at home (eg "install these 18 PERL modules from CPAN etc).

There may well be other resources but this was one that Ed pointed me to when I asked him about this stuff in a recent offline yak. The link is also contained on the Hints or Tips UsefulURLs page on Oztivo. The site wasn't loading when I tried it a few minutes back, so no instant gratification.

It's a start ...

Ok new guide data system is back to normal, technical difficulties resolved.

Jaidev

No Guide data past Sunday midday

Hi, I am using the LOADGUIDE method and it looks like the http://216.58.174.222/tjvinfo/nztivo.slice is out of date.

I even tried loading it manually but this is what I get.
    08 Sep 2004 - 01:33:32 - NZ Sky Slice Updated
    09 Sep 2004 - 01:25:04 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do
    10 Sep 2004 - 01:25:06 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do
    11 Sep 2004 - 01:25:01 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do
    12 Sep 2004 - 01:25:02 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do
    12 Sep 2004 - 19:09:24 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do
    12 Sep 2004 - 19:10:27 - NZ Sky - Nothing to Do

(last two were manual)

Is this deprecated and do I need to switch to the emulator?

This problem is called ISP's invisible proxy knowing best. Most if not all ISPs now have a proxy server that handles all its customer's web access without the user having to setup a proxy server in thier browser settings, it just intercepts all traffic on port 80 and does with it as it pleases.

This is generally good for ISP and customer, but if customer, in this case you and me, wants the latest version of a file but the proxy can't be bothered checking if a new version is available so just gives you the old one, so loadguide doesn't bother dling it as it hasn't changed.

This is easily fixed however. Change your loadguide.conf, the last line is:

WGET="wget -t 5 -nv -nd -S -Na /var/log/wget.log"

Add a "-C off"(case matters) so its:

WGET="wget -C off -t 5 -nv -nd -S -Na /var/log/wget.log"

Then the ISP proxy server will be put in its place, letting loadguide always check the latest version from the web server.

That did the trick, thanks very much.

I'd forgotten about the proxy. (we don't have one at work).

Some proxies are just too damn aggressive. That file would have changed 2 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalc
    This problem is called ISP's invisible proxy knowing best. Most if not all ISPs now have a proxy server that handles all its customer's web access without the user having to setup a proxy server in thier browser settings, it just intercepts all traffic on port 80 and does with it as it pleases.

I seem to having the same/similar problem with my guide data running out tonight/tomorrow after having a successful update reported this and previous mornings.

Have tried the suggested
    WGET="wget -C off -t 5 -nv -nd -S -Na /var/log/wget.log" and then doing a loadguide but still no data.

Is this because I use the emulator and the loadguide option won't work for me?

Quote Originally Posted by STu
    Is this because I use the emulator and the loadguide option won't work for me?
    I don't know if thats relevant to the emulator. Loadguide just dls a file via http and processes it. Does the emulator do the same? Or does it connect directly to a server where it can have a 2 way conversation to determine what it needs, and retrieves the data that way?

So I guess the question is, am I the only one currently having this problem (has been working fine up until now) or is there a wider spread issue?

ie. Should I do a clear all data or am I getting some sort of caching issue with the ISP (Xtra Broadband)?