Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recent importing a TiVo

I ordered one from George on the 27th.. shipped that day.. arrived today 31st.

No problems at all
    US Series 1 Philips TiVo
    nzTiVo-Philips-Installer.img
    200Gb HDD 8Mb Cache, Turbonet
    Slices: Sky Digital, Auckland
    Hacks: TyServer, Manual Record & TivoTitle, TiVoX 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by deanm
    I ordered one from George on the 27th.. shipped that day.. arrived today 31st.

No problems at all
    Mmmm *feels more tempted to get 2nd TiVo*

Thumbs up Only problem was Customs....

I also bought two units in from George and found him fine to deal with - track and trace showed that they arrived into the country a couple of days after they were sent but after nearly 10 days I thought I'd try tracing them and sure enough they were just sitting at customs - no letters or phone calls so I guess they'd still be there if I hadn't rung them so the key is to wait 3-4 days and then try tracking them down yourself. I had to pay GST to get them released but I got over that once they arrived so nevermind! They ended up costing me $650NZD each in total including my 200Gb hard disk purchase from local supplier. WORTH EVERY CENT!

Quote Originally Posted by Muzza
    I also bought two units in from George and found him fine to deal with - track and trace showed that they arrived into the country a couple of days after they were sent but after nearly 10 days I thought I'd try tracing them and sure enough they were just sitting at customs - no letters or phone calls so I guess they'd still be there if I hadn't rung them so the key is to wait 3-4 days and then try tracking them down yourself. I had to pay GST to get them released but I got over that once they arrived so nevermind! They ended up costing me $650NZD each in total including my 200Gb hard disk purchase from local supplier. WORTH EVERY CENT!
    Ouch.. How much did customs sting you for gst for each tivo?

I guess two tivos arriving at once probably got their attention.

FYI,

servicedvr.com have refurbed tivo's with 2x120gb drives for US$210. I had a friend carry mine back in luggage so don't know about the NZ shipping, but it sure was cheap...

TiVo cost

Credit card bill was $755.33NZD for George's part - 2 X Diskless TiVo's and Turbonet cards + extra remote. Customs charged me $62.50 and 200Gb hard disks were $236 each - so in total it was about $650NZD each one. I notice the hard disks have come down in price since I bought mine - around $200 each now.

Via Ebay

Seems a good point to add to the topic, and, at the same time, say Hi to everyone...Steve here..in Timaru
    Wel.... I got here by a different route. Browsing Trademe, I spotted the ad a while back for the Tivo.
    A quick Google lead me to here...to the FFWD article..to Tim's place. This was for me. And the rest is history!....
    George was out of stock, so as I don't do patience, I ordered one on Ebay(for Ebay read Poweron!) sorry George, I do feel bad about it. No problems ordering on line and payment via BidPay. From ordering to having the top off the Tivo, took 13 days...not so good. (Very ironic)
    Cleared customs no problems and nothing to pay.
    Now, with the Tivo sat next to the decoder, I've enjoyed every minute of the journey....yep....even when sat there, waiting for the light bulb to come on or wondering why the video is jerky.
    Thanks, gratefull thanks, are all I can to say, to those who made this possible.
    I look forward to being part of this community.
    Steve
    OzTiVo Image R1.4 (Modified for NZ)

Oh and I forgot...under no circumstances...should you ever reboot 3 times, via Telnet, while your wife is watching "Now playing" on... "her" Tivo..without telling her first. I'm amazed we are still married.
    OzTiVo Image R1.4 (Modified for NZ)

Quote Originally Posted by fishman
    Oh and I forgot...under no circumstances...should you ever reboot 3 times, via Telnet, while your wife is watching "Now playing" on... "her" Tivo..without telling her first. I'm amazed we are still married.
    ... or hold a key down in a telnet session in the other room
    ... or change the channel via tivoweb

I predict the correct answer to the question "how many TiVo's do we need?" will quickly converge to "one for each TV in the house plus one". Welcome mate.

Clive

Okay, well I've decided Yes. I've ordered a 120gb seagate HD and will order my second TiVo at the end of next week

Cheers all.