Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to copy recordings to PC

Quote Originally Posted by RLSA View Post
    ... are the 2009 Tutorial Videos ... available on the internet? ...
    Sorry, don't know. The copies were downloaded from one of my TiVos back in 2009 and presumably they were encoded by a unique MAK.

They won't play in my current version of VideoReDo TVSuite because it wasn't installed to use a TiVo MAK.

Not sure if files can be uploaded from PC to the Series 3 TiVo these days. If you know a way to do that and can suggest a simple file-share service I could try and upload one for you. Don't want to sign-up to a service though.

BTW - if you can upload to a TiVo from PC you could try sending your experimental recording back to the TiVo and see if it will play OK.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT - You may like to trial EaseFab Video Converter on your experimental recording https://www.easefab.com/video-converter/

As an experiment I have just used the trial version of EaseFab to convert the five TiVo tutorials into MP4 format. I was able to enter the original source TiVo MAK. The trial version will only convert the first few minutes of a file. Since each of the tutorials only run for a few minutes it successfully converted their full length.

The 'lifetime' licence appears to be about US$30 (AU$42). Don't know how its editing capabilities compare to VideoReDo.
    Last edited by boritz; 23-01-2022 at 07:08 AM.

After spending time searching through TiVo Community posts, I discovered the following browser based method for transferring files from the TiVo to the PC.

After running pytivo, the URL http://localhost:9032/TiVoConnect?Command=NPL&Container=ToGo&TiVo=<my TiVo's IP address> produces a webpage headed "pyTivo / Pull from DVR-xxxx"

It has options at the bottom of the page for
    Decrypt with tivo-libre
    Save metadata to .txt
    Transfer as mpeg-ts

After transfer with the "Decrypt with tivo-libre" option checked, a .mpg file of the TiVo recording appears in the target PC directory specified previously in pytivo Desktop settings. The .mpg file produces audio but no video in Windows Media Player (WMP) but works perfectly when opened with VLC.

The "localhost" URL works but it's a bit clunky. There is no progress indicator for the transfer. The only indication is a green bar below the selected program showing "Transfering - xx.xx Mb/s y.yyy GB" and a Stop_Transfer link.

Encouraged by finally being able to transfer and view the TiVo file on the PC, I explored further and realised that there is also a "Decrypt with tivo-libre" option in the pytivo Desktop settings. With that checked, the pytivo Desktop transfer outputs a .ts file to the target folder on the PC. The .ts file works perfectly with VLC but WMP won't open it.

During the transfer, the Download Queue dialog box in pytivo Desktop still doesn't show the progress bar completing to 100%.

I'm pleased that I'm finally able to use pytivo Desktop to transfer and view the programs. Is there any good reference site for instructions about using pytivo Desktop? In TiVo Community there's a lot of discussion about the use of different Transfer format for OTA (Free to Air?) or cable sourced programs, so I've assumed that the Transport Stream is the correct option with programs recorded from broadcast TV in Australia - or does it depend on the format that is set in the TiVo for recording?

Has there been any update on this? I got a modded Tivo from a guy in QLD, but for some reason its nowt showing the MAK.... i messaged him and he said there is a way to access them via a server connection but I haven't been able to figure it out. I'd really appreciate it if someone knows the how to!

To view the MAK via the TiVo menu:

TiVo Central > Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > Media Access Key

If the MAK is not there the TiVo doesn't have one.

P.S. not all TiVos had a MAK - it was purchased separately and (AFAIK) cannot be retro-installed or copied.
    Last edited by boritz; 05-09-2022 at 01:07 PM.

There has been no way found to get a MAK after the official TiVo service was discontinued. A MAK was obtained by registering on the TiVo server.
    The only way to get a TiVo now is to buy one already enabled.
    Also should you do a Clear and delete all you will loose your MAK permanently.
    This also means that if you want to protect your MAK from a hard drive failure you need to image you drive when it is functional and load a new drive with that image.
    2 x S1 TiVos running, 1 x HD TiVo running, Several of each as spares. Current keeper of ORAC.