Thread: Digital modulator and tivo

Digital modulator and tivo

Hi all, I have purchased a digital modulator to send paytv to all our tv's via our antenna. I had a faultless setup previously but was upgraded to a new fox box so the rf modulator wasn't up to the job.

On our tivo it picks up the pay tv channel but all it displays is a blank grey screen and no audio. Is this a limitation of the tivo itself, am I missing a setting or is it no go?

Thanks in advance

What format is the digital modulator outputting in (ie encoding specs, etc). "Digital" is a very broad term unfortunately.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    What format is the digital modulator outputting in (ie encoding specs, etc). "Digital" is a very broad term unfortunately.
    Thanks Darren, modulate qam64, bandwidth 7m, carrier 8k, fec 7/8, rf output 69 dbuv, is all that's showing on the display of the modulator which is a satking sk-760 hd modulator.

https://www.satking.com.au/images/pr...r%20Manual.pdf
    Last edited by mkhannah; 30-09-2018 at 11:12 AM.

No ideas, sorry. On the surface from what you describe there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

Just to clarify: You have re-scanned the TiVo for channels and it does actually find the channel the modulator is outputting on?
    Darren King

Yes it pulls up a grey screen with "fox" (my label which you can input on the modulator) but no pic or sound. The tv we have is old, it won't pick up the racing channel 78, but the tivo does and shows the pic/sound no problem. So I just assumed it would do the same with the modulator channel. It works on other tvs around the house.

Ive played with a few settings on modulator and tivo but no joy.....maybe time for a new tv.

If you are seeing "FOX" on the TV and this is through the TiVo then there is no problem with the TV otherwise you would not see anything. Given that you are getting "FOX" the TiVo is recognising something but sorry I can't say why it wouldn't be decoding a valid signal. What does the signal information screen show? From memory if you scroll down the "system information" screen it should say what it is currently decoding on both tuners.
    Darren King

I get info on the diagnostics menu, it has tuner 0 and tuner 1. Tuner 0 always says channel 10, tuner 1 always says the last channel shown. Channel 78 shows amongst other things pcr pid 0x681, audio pid 0x682 (aac) video pid 0x681 (unknown).

For the channel I'm after, it says pcr pid 0x7D1, audio pid 0x7D2(mpeg2), video pid 0x7D1 (unknown).

Unsure if there is any other relevant info, thanks again Darren