Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Distinguishing First-Run from Repeat shows

Quote Originally Posted by edcba View Post
    Dear David

I'm in Sydney. We have Season Passes marked First-Run Only for the ABC HD Channel 20 programs 'Call the Midwife' and 'Gardening Australia'. The following episodes, all of which are repeats, are currently scheduled to be recorded. For Call the Midwife, Monday 12.10 am and 2 pm; Tuesday 12.28 am and 2.01 pm; and more. For Gardening Australia Monday 11.01 am and Tuesday 10.59 am and more. All these episodes are repeats. In general, I think that when these programs are shown outside prime time (say between 6 pm and 11 pm) they are repeats.
    When Hybrid was operating none of these repeats would be scheduled if 'First-run Only' was selected. It would be very useful if that behaviour could be restored. At present, I have manually to remove all these daytime repeats from the 'To Do' list, which is a bother.
    I (and I am sure others) hope that you can fix this.
    I have set up the experiment, although it ended up being different from what I envisioned yesterday (and no doubt different to the way edcba wishes the problem could be solved). For one thing, the experiment applies Australia wide.
    From tomorrow (August 5 about 2am AEST) when your tivo updates its guide info, it should see showings of Call The Midwife and Gardening Australia which are scheduled before 6pm as being in an episode called "Encore" (in either case). Your TiVo should be smart enough not to record those "Encore" episodes at least as long as you have an undeleted "Encore" episode.

In short, by Tuesday or Wednesday your season passes should stop recording those showings of Call the Midwife and Gardening Australia which are before 6pm (although you might need to keep one "Encore" episode on your TiVo to stop it recording more).
    If the experiment goes well this week, I think I have a way to continue this indefinitely without much effort for those two series (assuming ABC keep showing repeats before 6pm and new episodes after 6pm).

Dear David

This has worked. Thank you. Is it feasible for you to extend this solution to other series as well?

Dear David

This has worked. Thank you. Is it feasible for you to extend this solution to other series as well?
    I could probably add a few (2-4) series per week, if those particular series are similarly easy to categorise (eg: showings before 6pm are "Encore", showings after 6pm are new episodes). Things like the time "6pm" and the episode name "Encore" could be customised for each series if appropriate.

For this experiment I have added new episodes for Gardening Australia (with the date in YYYY-MM-DD format), but I don't expect to keep that up in future. I think season passes should work if the new showings are just treated as No Title episode as long as repeats keep being treated as "Encore" episode. In which case, I shouldn't need to do any extra daily/weekly work for Gardening Australia in future.

Dear David

Thanks again for your help. Tonight's 'Gardening Australia' didn't get into my To Do list, although tomorrow night's 'Back Roads' did. I've added tonight's 'Gardening Australia' manually.

Dear David

Thanks again for your help. Tonight's 'Gardening Australia' didn't get into my To Do list, although tomorrow night's 'Back Roads' did. I've added tonight's 'Gardening Australia' manually.
    That's strange. If you go to TiVo > Find Programs > To Do List > View Recording History then it should show you why past showings were not recorded and also why future showings will not be recorded. It might be too late to check that now that you have manually added tonight's showing of 'Gardening Australia' but I think its probably worth a look to see if there is a reason your TiVo didn't want to put it on the To Do list, and certainly worth a look if this happens again. The showing in question should be of an episode called "2019-08-09" of series "Gardening Australia".

First-run only problems

A 10 am showing of Back Roads on ABC HD (Sydney) on Wednesday 21 August has appeared on my To Do list. It's obviously a repeat, but it wasn't rejected as an Encore, even though my Season Pass says First-run Only.

As mentioned previously, I'd like to have a setting so that daytime programs don't get recorded by the Season Pass manager, only prime time recordings.