Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade to 11.3b10 from 11.3b8

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
    I really hope I can get it working again...
    Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but what I would try is getting (1) a spare HD (easy for me to say, they seem to breed in my house) (2) a TBK with 11.3b10 on it (3) restore the TBK to the HD (4) Install in the TiVO, reboot, wait, do initial setup including inserting MAK. Worst case you have wasted a bit of time. Best case you will have your MAK working again. On the other hand, I cannot immediately see how you ever get your videos (if any) off your existing hard drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Vuillard View Post
    Apologies if this is teaching you to suck eggs but what I would try is getting (1) a spare HD (easy for me to say, they seem to breed in my house) (2) a TBK with 11.3b10 on it (3) restore the TBK to the HD (4) Install in the TiVO, reboot, wait, do initial setup including inserting MAK. Worst case you have wasted a bit of time. Best case you will have your MAK working again. On the other hand, I cannot immediately see how you ever get your videos (if any) off your existing hard drive.
    Trouble is, there's no way of putting the MAK onto a newly installed unit. If the problem is an expired "ticket", putting 10.3b10 on there isn't going to fix it (and any backup with an existing MAK, if I had one, which I don't, would also be expired by now) -- nevertheless, I will try upgrading (not reinstalling) one of these to 11.3b10 sooner or later, just to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren King View Post
    with a failed hard disk there is a pre-installed 11.3b10 image that can be restored with WinMFS available on request.
    Hi Darren,

I thought that a "clear and delete everything" to write the TSN to a new HDD image was no longer possible without access to the TiVo server?

Or does the Tivo mothership still accept guided setups, just not guide data?

I ask because my spare TiVo has a failed HDD without a backup image (I didn't listen to your warnings about doing the swap pre-october...), so if I can bring that back to life, I would.
    Last edited by Timbosaurus; 01-12-2017 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbosaurus View Post
    Hi Darren,
    Or does the Tivo mothership still accept guided setups, just not guide data?
    Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership. So if you do a C&DE on an already patched image (Dialcode 140) it should work.

I ask because my spare TiVo has a failed HDD without a backup image
    Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. That will be an already patched Oz image and presumably have the correct post code. Use winmfs to restore that image to new HDD (same size or larger than the HDD you backed up) for your spare TiVo (must me hardware modded). When you boot the TiVo it will complain but should eventually work. Using the .tbk I don't think you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything, but if you do, as noted above, Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership.

Quote Originally Posted by Phred View Post
    Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership. So if you do a C&DE on an already patched image (Dialcode 140) it should work.
    Thats great news. Well done guys!

Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. That will be an already patched Oz image and presumably have the correct post code. Use winmfs to restore that image to new HDD (same size or larger than the HDD you backed up) for your spare TiVo (must me hardware modded). When you boot the TiVo it will complain but should eventually work. Using the .tbk I don't think you will need to do a Clear and Delete Everything, but if you do, as noted above, Guided Setup should now be working from the Oz Mothership.
    Thanks for the detail!

The main tivo hasn't been PROM'd, or touched at all to be honest. It is just being used as a dumb tuner without guide, and to play the saved recordings for the kids. I was hoping to mess with the spare as practice first

I'll go and backup the main tivo now, copy the tkb over onto a new HDD for the spare tivo (which has been socket'd and PROM'd), patch it, boot it, and see what happens.

I just assumed it would see a mismatch with the TSN on the HDD, and without the tivo server I would not be able to clear and reset everything. But I honestly don't know how many places the TSN is stored/checked/validated, and what it takes to align them all.

Thanks,
    Tim

Either get an image from Darren or get a copy if winmfs (note has to be run as administrator) and use it to make a truncated backup of the HDD on your working TiVo. T
    I ran winmfs on an old Windows XP machine without being administrator.Made a backup and copying drive now.
    Last time I used winmfs was in 2011.Do newer versions of Windows require admin?

Quote Originally Posted by andymoz View Post
    I ran winmfs on an old Windows XP machine without being administrator.[].Do newer versions of Windows require admin?
    Ahh, could very well be - my case Windows 7 and needed administrator.

Ahh, could very well be - my case Windows 7 and needed administrator.
    Same here on win10. I found that when run without administrator privileges, I could not detect the HDD connected via a usb-SATA adapter.

That's with winmfs version beta build 9.3g

Quote Originally Posted by rphenix View Post
    Darren just to confirm - 11.3b8 is the minimum build the software mod works with everything else should be blown away and new image restored from a truncated backup?
    Correct. 11.3b8 is the minimum.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pawl View Post
    Maybe not. Matt Callow says on another thread that there are "time limited signed 'tickets' delivered by the mothership", and the motherboards were out of my hands for several weeks before the (Hybrid) mothership went off the air, so possibly they just expired. I really hope I can get it working again...
    I've solved this, so for anyone else having the same problem the solution is simple: edit /etc/rc.d/StageD_PreMfs/rc_Sequence_255.Hacks.sh; change the line that reads $TM -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & to $TM -m -M XXX -l /var/log/ticketmaster.log & (where XXX is your MAK), and restart the TiVo.