Thread: Can't get past "Connecting"- it fails to connect (N13 error)

Can't get past "Connecting"- it fails to connect (N13 error)

Nothing has changed. My TiVO was tweaked a year ago. It last connected on Wednesday. NBN is working fine. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get my TiVo connecting again? DNS Resolution has succeeded. But I note that Port Configuration has failed. How do I fix this? I am 67 yo female and not at all into "techo" things. I have tried restarting the machine but it still does not connect to my network.
    Last edited by Darren King; 18-11-2018 at 10:58 AM. Reason: updated thread title

Ann contacted me via email soon after and I am working with her on this one.

So far I have established there was a storm with a nearby lightning strike. The TiVo is using a wireless adaptor and other devices in the house are connecting to the internet OK like before the storm. The TiVo is reporting an "N13" connection error. The TiVo is still receing all TV channels OK.

Given the above I am thinking more along the lines of a software only issue and will give details on the final fix when known.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

As an update, Ann tried connecting via a wired Ethernet connection and it too fails.

Given wireless and wired networks are hardware different entities in a TiVo this leaves either a software glitch or something screwy with the network.

Ann has elected to watch things on the TiVo before trying a full "clear and delete everything" but at the same time I have offered to supply a test hard disk to see if that works.

This may take several weeks to resolve as Ann wishes to wait until she has watched all on the existing hard disk but when a result is known I will post.
    Darren King

Just an update to this:

Over the past couple of weeks I have had a few reports of N13 errors from people. Most were fixed with modem reboots. One person couldn't but upgraded their modem firmware and that fixed things.

In Ann's case none of this solved the problem. We even went as far as her trying to use her mobile phone as a wireless hotspot. Same result.

In the end I sent over a test hard disk with a fresh copy of the software. THIS fixed the problem.

Not being one to delve too much into the software side of things I can't say exactly what the problem was, but it has an ending that Ann is happy with.
    Darren King

Well done Darren..

Thank you so much Darren! All working well now.