Thread: Important service announcement: TiVo Service ending on 31 October 2017

Angry Important service announcement: TiVo Service ending on 31 October 2017

We are sad to report that we have reached the end of our TiVo license and the TiVo Service is coming to an end in New Zealand on 31 October 2017.

The TiVo Service is what delivers electronic programming guide data to your TiVo device each day, so without it, there will be no electronic programming guide and TiVo recording features such as Season Pass and WishList will stop working. For more information on what will and will not work after 31 October see “What does this mean for you and your TiVo after 31 October?”. Your TiVo device will have extremely limited functionality and we discourage customers from using it after 31 October.

We are glad that when the time comes, you will have been able to enjoy your TiVo device for at least 5 years. We are sure you will find plenty of home entertainment alternatives out there, and are contacting you now to make sure you have plenty of time to upgrade your technology by 31 October 2017 and to help make sure your transition is as smooth as possible.

Please think of the environment and dispose of your TiVo device at your local e-cycling facility.

For further information on the end of the TiVo Service, please visit www.mytivo.co.nz

We wish you all the best and thank you for your support over the years.

This is sad, pity there's not a way to hack the Series 3 and run a epg feed, I am sure there would be some support, possibly even financial from users. The TiVo interface is still better than any other DVR and the hardware remarkably reliable. Geekzone is busy with this announcement http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...topicid=208847

So it looks like the S1 Tivos will be coming back into vogue? I wonder how many there are out there unconnected gathering dust? I have several. Any interest? :-)

I was thinking about it but I retired my S1 a few years back when I dropped Sky and have been happily using my TiVoHD boxes since then, until now. With the writing on the wall I would be keen to still have a working TiVo but SD only on my 55" 4K TV will be a bit sad. The TV does have Freeview Plus so I'll try sticking a drive on it and see how it goes. I've been watching less and less broadcast TV so maybe the TiVo shutdown will be enough to get me off broadcast TV entirely.
    2 TiVo HD's waiting to be upgraded
    In storage - Thomson Scenium TiVo 200GB + Cachecard
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo

A good overview of the status in this thread :-

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru....cfm?t=2613609
    1 x Philips TiVo Series 1, Cachecard, 1 x 1TB SATA (with recent TradeMe sourced adaptor), Mk II Pal Tuner Mod, NZ Emulator, Previously Dual A/V Source, Now Pay Satellite
    2 x TiVo HD, Freeview, HNP, 2TB (WD-AV) jmfs upgraded
    1 x Thomson UK TiVo, Cachecard, 200GB, Testing Work

So here we are, and the service is gone. My wife is now fretting over the loss of the two TiVos and nothing out there seems close to a decent replacement so it looks like I need to get them chipped. Is there anyone in Auckland able to do the PROM reprogramming because I'm damn sure I will screw it up :-)
    2 TiVo HD's waiting to be upgraded
    In storage - Thomson Scenium TiVo 200GB + Cachecard
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo

Quote Originally Posted by GreatDrok View Post
    So here we are, and the service is gone. My wife is now fretting over the loss of the two TiVos and nothing out there seems close to a decent replacement so it looks like I need to get them chipped. Is there anyone in Auckland able to do the PROM reprogramming because I'm damn sure I will screw it up :-)
    There's a lot of information relating to this in our local NZ Geekzone forums. A good place to start would be here: https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.as...showanswer=yes
    I'm one of the people doing the mods to keep your Tivos running and I'm on the North Shore of Auckland. PM me for full details. This whole project has been extremely successful and hence pre-programmed chips are in very short supply at the moment. You can also find out more about what's happened by checking out Dr Tivo (Darren King's) site. http://kingey1971.wixsite.com/tivorepairs

I have done 5 mods so far, most on machines of mine. I originally purchased chips and sockets but on the last one I upgraded I re-used an original chip and soldered it on rather than socketing it. I can program chips if anyone needs them done. I am on Waiheke Island but work in the city weekdays. PM if you need assistance.