Thread: The death of nz tivo - new sky boxs

The death of nz tivo - new sky boxs

Saw on sky last night that they are upgrading ALL nz sky boxes (non mysky)
    Don't know if we can opt out of this, but I doubt it.

Hopefully there is an IR file for these new boxes, but who knows, we would be counting on oztivo for it.
    If not, then that's the end of TIVO nz.

posted in guide forum as general not showing latest posts.

Cheers,
    divxmaster

Updates:

The new sky box upgrade is definitely required, as it adds DBVS2 h264, which I believe sky
    will be moving all channels to eventually.

It DOES contain a 500GB HD, which (recording to) is off by default. Therefore we can get it installed and
    see if it works with the Tivo. If not, you can ring sky and have the recording enabled, giving
    you essentially a mysky hdi box. This will cost $15 per month though.

It only has composite RCA and 1 HDMI output. No svideo or scart. If it works like the mysky box then
    the composite output has macrovision locking, which means most channels will not output over it.
    This = NO TIVO

Based on everything I have read today, I am pretty certain we will not be able to use TiVo anymore.
    That said, we will have to adapt to mysky (No wishlists!! - I think). You can apparently split the
    hdmi output to multiple TV's (I currently do this with my pc) with a splitter box. I guess I'll have to upgrade
    to 2 in, 4 out hdmi splitter/repeater. (with remote).
    If you are creative, and have multiple TiVo remotes/TV's (my TiVo outputs to 5 tvs) - you can get another
    mysky remote, either say your one is lost, or get one from a sky shop. It should cost $25 in either case.

Cheers,
    Divxmaster

You might be able to find a Satellite receiver that is compatible with SkyTV. At the moment I am aware of people who have one which they use in preference to the Sky supplied receiver. Apparently only the blue Sky card works though. Something like a Dreambox or a 'Skybox' F3.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Quote Originally Posted by Skolink View Post
    You might be able to find a Satellite receiver that is compatible with SkyTV. At the moment I am aware of people who have one which they use in preference to the Sky supplied receiver. Apparently only the blue Sky card works though. Something like a Dreambox or a 'Skybox' F3.
    Had a quick look on geekzone, and someone with a dreambox said it doesn't work propertly with the new cards. A new card is supplied
    with the new sky box apparently. But time will tell.

Just got the email from Sky telling me to 'book in my replacement' for the old sky box, with their new box...a recording disabled mysky...which I can get set up to record for an extra $15/month.
    If I read the above , I/we don't seem to have a choice, and the new Sky box won't be compatible with the Tivo as the composite out won't work...is that right. ?
    Has anyone found a way around this ?
    I really object to Sky forcing me to ditch my Tivo to use their inferior, and more expensive recorder.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Sounds like you are the first nz TiVo user to get this new box. So as of yet, no one has tested the composite out,
    but forums say it will not work. However, you can buy a macrovision defeater from amazon, but they are
    expensive $100+, and no guarantee it would work. First issue would be to see if the TiVo can control the
    sky box via IR. I have read somewhere that it is supposed to have the same ir codes as pace.

Also, not sure how 'live tv' works on the sky box. it can record 2 and display another one channel I think.
    Hopefully the 'displayed' channel works just like a current sky box.
    Cheers,
    Divxmaster

Ahh, had just posted in the general forum - the new sky decoder is a Kaon NS1120-500.

Sky looks to have this rollout completed within a couple of months.

Until I get the Tivo sorted, or make other arrangements ( Win 7 with Media Centre and DVB-S2 USB decoders), there is a Sky deal out there, but is only done thru a telemarketing company.
    ~$29 for basic
    free MySky
    ~$10 for Sport add-on
    ~$10 for movies add-on
    $10 for HD ticket (no discount)
    Option of box:
    1. MySKy+ with wifi add-on unit (for ondemand), 1TB, and big physical size.
    2. New box, 500GB, and small(er) physical size.

Basic + sport + HD + New Mysky Box, all for $49 instead of $105

0800 4 SKY TV (0800 475 988)

Good for 12 months, then reverts to normal rates. Just cancel, and resign under a partners name, or similar ..

Nice deal,
    Were you already signed up to SKY before you applied for the deal?

Cheers,
    divxmaster