Thread: Changing channels, but NOT changing channels

Changing channels, but NOT changing channels

Hi folks. Has anyone encountered a situation where S1 Tivo says it's changing channels on the GUI, but doesn't actually change the channel? The problem is that it stays on the same channel despite saying it's on the new one. Thanks, Hoary.

Firstly, are you using a Set Top Box as your input, or the inbuilt tuner?

I've moved this thread, as it's not really a guide issue.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi Pete. Unsure if I'm doing the wrong thing to replying to it, now, then.
    Yes it's an SD Foxtel box. Not the inbuilt tuner.
    The first couple of times I rebooted it would play nicely but I'm now thinking that's unrelated. I can't rule out the image, though, because this one has set a new longevity record.
    I always check the IR port and blaster positions and they're all good. I wondered about the IR blaster but read elsewhere here that either they work, or they don't and of course the GUI is receiving commands and saying it's changing channels, just not actually doing it.
    Ta. Hoary.

Ok, the IR receiver and IR blaster are different parts. The reciever is working as it accepts your commands.

So the next thing to check is if the IR Blasters are working correctly. There is one built into the eye in the middle of the TiVo and you appear to be using an external one.

Aim a digital camera/mobile phone camera at the middle of the Tivo and use the remote to change channels. You should see a flicker of light through the camera which you cannot see with the naked eye.

If that worked fine do the same for the external blaster to see if it is working also.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks again, Pete. Tivo blaster works noticably. The old Foxtel SD IR window is a lot smaller, but I can't detect a flicker.
    Could be time to ask Foxtel for a new one? A consideration is that my Fox STB model is scart-to-Svideo and my teeve is Scart or Svideo, only. Lindy probably has a converter but it'll probably cost more than my teeve. Realise I'm reaching, here.
    Your advice is really appreciated. Cheers, Hoary.

You wont see anything in the Foxtel IR window, as it is not outputting any IR. It is only a receiver.

You need to check the external Blaster that plugs into the TiVo and sits in front of the Foxtel Box..

Must be a faulty external blaster cable. I never saw it light up through the camera when I was looking at the Foxtel IR window, which it's right next to. Swapped it with an IR blaster I had for a wireless sender and the channels are a-changin'.
    Thanks Pete!

ok, good news.