Thread: Tivo Expander - US Version won't work with NZ Tivo?

Tivo Expander - US Version won't work with NZ Tivo?

Hi,

I have a US Western Digital Tivo expander p/n: WDBABT0010HBK-NESN

As you can no longer get the expander in NZ or AU, I got this from Amazon.com,

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Expander-...=tivo+expander

It is Tivo Series 3 approved however when I connect it to the NZ Tivo although it is recognised as an external drive I get the following error:

'This device is unsupported and may not be set up with your Tivo media device'

Is there any way to get this working?

Any help appreciated?

Cheers

TiVo use the unique Drive ID of the extenders to see if they are allowed to play together.

It is possible the current model of WD extender is not compatible with the AU/NZ TiVo's.

The string data that our TiVo's are looking for is:

StringData = {model=WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1|fwrev=01.01A01|bits=0x00000000}

Any drive other than that, will not work plug and play.

My first suggestion is to contact WD and ask if the current version is reporting something different, and see if they have a solution.

Peter.
    Last edited by petestrash; 18-03-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Hi All,

I am new to this Forum. The following is a problem which is not exactly but somewhat associated with this thread. I could not find anything else specific on the TIVO WD Expander HDD.

I purchased the WD Expander HDD (WD 10EVVS AV-GP 1Tb) from TIVO. We have been having problems (periodically freezing video on and off) which appear from my reading of Forum articles to be due to a hard disk problem, but which one?.

I have detached the Expander HDD following the TIVO process and without it the problem appears to have gone away (so far). So I assume the fault may not be with the internal HDD?

The WD Expander Drive is an eSATA drive which is not compatible with either my older XP PC (it uses an internal SATA1 connector) or my Mac Book Pro.

Do you have any ideas on how I might be able to test and if possible "fix" the WD Expander?

Norbert

Quote Originally Posted by petestrash View Post
    TiVo use the unique Drive ID of the extenders to see if they are allowed to play together.

It is possible the current model of WD extender is not compatible with the AU/NZ TiVo's.

The string data that our TiVo's are looking for is:

StringData = {model=WDC WD10EVVS-63E1B1|fwrev=01.01A01|bits=0x00000000}

Any drive other than that, will not work plug and play.

My first suggestion is to contact WD and ask if the current version is reporting something different, and see if they have a solution.

Peter.

You can buy a SATA to eSATA cable to use with your PC.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!