Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Connecting to series 1 Tivo

Connecting to series 1 Tivo

I've got a series one TiVo that is set to a static IP address that is outside the range of my new router now I've moved to Wanaka. I'm guessing the only solution is to get connected to the TiVo via a serial cable and reset the IP, unfortunately I don't have access to a PC with a serial cable. Does anyone know if it's possible using a serial to USB converter? or is there another solution?
    cheers
    Tony

There shouldn't be any problem if you use a usb to serial converter. TeraTerm or Putty (set for serial) should work fine if you haven't got Hyperterm on your PC. You may need to change the com port your PC sets for the serial port using device manager (assuming a windows machine). I normally use com 1 or 2.
    Another way would be to connect the tivo directly to your PC (may need a crossover ethernet cable), set you pc ethernet port in the range of the tivos address and use telnet to change the tivo address to an address in the range of your new router (or set the tivo to DHCP).
    Whichever way you change the address the tivo will probably need a reboot before the new address is used.
    Last edited by Islander; 29-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.

Cheeky question...does anyone have a serial cable I can borrow? Getting electronic components here in Wanaka isn't easy! I can source a serial to USB converter via TradeMe, but it would be handy to have a loan of a cable

Have you tried to connect by the second method I suggested above (telnet directly to the tivo)?

Unfortunately I don't know how to reset the ethernet port range.....

Assuming a windows computer:
    XP start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Connection>Properties>This connection uses... box slide down to & highlight Internet Protocol (TCPIP)> Properties button > Use the following IP address. enter an address close to your current tivos address (tivo +1 should do) subnet mask 255.255.255.0 then OK OK (bit of a delay).
    For Win 7 & 8 connect the PC to the tivo before changing the settings as a disconnected LAN port may not show up in Adapter Settings.
    Windows 7: Start>Control Panel>Network and Sharing Centre> Change Adapter Settings> Local Area Connection> Properties> Find TCP/IPv4 and set as per XP
    Windows 8: Start> Control Panel> Network & Internet> Network and Sharing Centre> Ethernet Connection> ...ref win 7
    Apple: I haven't got one of these.... anyone else?

This will set your PC and you should be able to browse to it on TivoWeb and also use Putty to telnet in and run nic_config_tivo to change the tivos address to the new value.
    To reset your PC to Dynamic Host Repeat the steps used above an click the Automatic option.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Islander; 30-05-2013 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks, that's a great help....I'm guessing I'll need to source a crossover Ethernet cable.

Connecting to series 1 Tivo

Quote Originally Posted by tonys View Post
    Thanks, that's a great help....I'm guessing I'll need to source a crossover Ethernet cable.
    Nope. A normal cable should be fine. I take it you do know what the TiVo's old static IP is?

The other - and perhaps easier (?) - option might be to simply change the address range on your new router to the same as your old static IP address on the TiVo. I assume that you were using a private IP address range?

Sometimes that's easier ...

Cheers

Mark
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 1 x 250GB, NZ Emulator - Satellite (Sky Digital)

you shouldn't even need to plug in directly or change the IP range of the router, just the IP address of your PC temporarily. The traffic should get forwarded by your router from one LAN port to another.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

I've realised that I dont know the stahic ip of thd tivo, so I gusss that means usin a serial cable is my only option?