Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Episode Descriptions Not Matching

Good to hear that you have success. Are you aware that you can backup your season passes and wishlists via tivoweb? These can then be reloaded after a rebuild. It is also possible to offload any saved recordings which can be uplodd or converted to DVDs.

We've got a TiVoHD unit which is our primary TiVo these days but I'm somewhat attached to the old girl and just like keeping it going. There wasn't anything catastrophically lost but I did learn a lot in the reimaging process since five years have passed since I last did it. The good news was I kept the Thomson install image around, and an old PIII PC that can boot it because my current Phenom won't. With that on hand, I was able to hook up the HD to this old PC and get the image back on but then I had to go through all the usual pain of getting the timezone issue fixed since this image pre-dates the new DST settings, and found various forum posts from me back in the day when I had trouble with ntpdate and the DST settings not being picked up here: http://forums.oztivo.net/showthread....1481#post11481

I had already got the Auckland.zip updated TimeZone file but that didn't work with the new ntpdate file installed, and using dbsetx as in that forum post. Now the dates are fine, the guide data is all looking correct and it seems to be as happy now as it was back when I got it going in 2007. I really need to put all this info on a disc and put it away somewhere. I do feel like the old girl is on her last legs and there may well not be enough interest in maintaining the guide data service and since I'm a programmer I would be interested in looking at working on keeping that going if there is a need for support.

A lot of support for the old S1 TiVos is disappearing. There was a time when TyStudio was a good tool for pulling files off and getting them to play wasn't difficult. I'm less interested in that these days but it is a shame for the knowledge to fade away and I wonder just how much longer that knowledge will be available here on this site and on the web in general. I'm often surprised that the old S1 TiVo still produces a decent looking picture on a big TV. Sure, it isn't HD but it isn't terrible, especially when it is set to run at best quality and DVD resolution.
    2 TiVo HD's waiting to be upgraded
    In storage - Thomson Scenium TiVo 200GB + Cachecard
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo

Quote Originally Posted by Islander View Post
    Good to hear that you have success. Are you aware that you can backup your season passes and wishlists via tivoweb? These can then be reloaded after a rebuild. It is also possible to offload any saved recordings which can be uplodd or converted to DVDs.
    I noticed there was a message came through the TiVo the other day about the dwindling number of users. Currently seems to be about 75 in NZ and I'm worried that support will be cut off shortly if no-one is interested in the S1. Any ideas who I could talk to about volunteering to help maintain the service? I'm a 24 year veteran UNIX programmer so may be of some use. If nothing else, I would be interested in finding out what it would take to build my own guide server because it would be a shame for the eminently hackable S1 TiVo to disappear into history at the back of a cupboard.
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo

Hmmm. Well I'm two of them running and I have several other functional but not connected ones.Try a PM to Wibble. I totally agree with you they are worth using. Still the best way to record Sky.

Our extended family account for another 2 (maybe 3) of them still in everyday use. Very appreciative of all the support over the years, and keen to see the guide data continue if at all possible. Apart from no HD, the UI etc still beats the competition.
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 320GB, oztivo 1.6.2, NZ Emulator (8000), Akl Sky Digital Satellite

Yep, talking to Wibble about helping out.
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo

It's funny, but I find the UI on the older TiVo S1 preferable to that of the new TiVo HD and it seems a bit more responsive despite the very limited hardware. Pity my TV doesn't have RGB input because that would improve the picture a great deal from my UK spec S1. I've looked at mods to get component out but haven't gone that route as yet. My TV does a decent job of cleaning up old composite inputs and my recordings are RGB off my Sky box so they look pretty good when I pull them off the TiVo and re-encode for my Apple TV.
    UK 2.5.5 based NZ Tivo