Thread: Server Issue

Server Issue

The server motherboard has been replaced. Looks like it had bad caps.

This caused some issue like partitions becoming read-only and database backups failing.

This would also explains any weirdness in the last few weeks.

I intend to upgrade the OS one last time fairly soon (though I have been meaning to do that for months now, so we'll see).

This should serve as a reminder that this service could fails at any time. It's on life support, pretty much none of the original devs and maintainers are left and those that are don't run Tivo's any more (I don't, I've ugraded to Mythtv and HD).

I do intend to keep it running for the foreseeable future as I have friends and accointances that still use it, but I would recommend to anyone still using it to start looking at other options, Mythtv being one of them.

Thanks.

Thanks very much for the effort. Until we get Prime tv guide on the TivoHD and they iron out all the bugs, we'll still be using our S1 also.
    I find the usage graph that comes out monthly quite interesting, we are definitely 'on the downward slope'.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Thanks so much for your efforts .. and a question about MythTV ..

Hi Wibble

First I'd like to thank you for your efforts in maintaining the feeds! Much appreciated by me, and I'm sure by everyone else still using it. It's particularly good of you given you are not even using Tivo any more.

I take on board your point about seeking alternatives, and I'm interested to hear more about the options. MySky is obviously one. Question about MythTV - firstly is there an EPG for MythTV, and secondly, is there an EPG that includes Sky programme guide info? Or is MySky the only option if you are looking to include Sky programming in the mix?

Any links you can provide to more useful info on MythTV's capabilities (specifically in NZ if possible) would be gratefully received.

Cheers and thanks again

Mark
    Philips TiVo Series 1, Turbonet, 1 x 250GB, NZ Emulator - Satellite (Sky Digital)

Quote Originally Posted by NZMarke View Post
    First I'd like to thank you for your efforts in maintaining the feeds! Much appreciated by me, and I'm sure by everyone else still using it. It's particularly good of you given you are not even using Tivo any more.
    No problem :-)

The best place to start for mythtv would be the local mailing list
    http://lists.ourshack.com/mailman/listinfo/mythtvnz
    and
    this site http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/ (though it's a bit dated now)

Rough summary is:
    Yes, you can get program guides even for sky.
    The reception options are:
    DVB-T which is mostly HD (ie: UHF aerial) (Freeview but excludes sky)
    DVB-S which is NOT HD (ie: satellite) (Freeview and sky)
    From Sky box output (as the current Tivo v1) and you still need the IR blaster. (Very hard to do my MySky HD)
    You can do any or all of the above, I do all three.

The easiest way to do it would be to use Mythbuntu and an Nvidia Video card (for VDPAU support, AKA HD hardware decoding).

Enjoy.