Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to add a STB to a Tivo

It seems everything has bedded down over the long weekend. The remote works but slowly. Its not a major issue as I'm not using the ozTivo to watch TV, just record it.

Thanks for your help Peter.

John
    Last edited by johnhedge; 15-06-2011 at 07:22 PM.

It seems my problems are still with me :-(

I thought all was ok as I had some success in recording some shows but I now realise they were all on channel 2. When I set up the Tivo to record the golf this morning all I got was the ABCs breakfast show! Channel 2 is the channel the STB was on. Neither the Tivo remote or the programmed record choice is having any effect.

Thanks,

John

Originally you said the changes were working, but slow. This is normal as it needs to first listen to your remote commands, then covert them to suit your STB, then send them to the Blaster.

So are manual changes also not working? is the blaster working? You can look at it via a Digital camera/phone and see if it flashes.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I think I must have been mistaken as I've tried both blasters that I have and although the Tivo overlays the current tv program with the fact that the channel change request has been received the STB doesn't budge.

Is there a way of checking through telnet what is happening?

Thanks,

John

Did you check if your basters were actually working like I suggested in my last response?

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I wasn't too sure what I was looking for but I looked at the blasters through my mobile's camera as I changed the channel with the Tivo remote and I didn't see anything with either of them plugged in, Peter.

Ok, if using your mobile or any other Digital camera, you should see the LED in the Blasters flicker when it is sending the data to change the channel.

To check if your camera works this way, do the same thing with any remote control and you should see the led flash when you press a button.

From the Sound of it your blasters are not working. Are you sure they are plugged into the IR socket. Also check the blaster at the front of your TiVo (also with your camera) to see if it flashes when trying to change channels.

If you still don't see any flashes, try changing to an IR code I know works like the "Hailo" brand, just so we can rule out any issue with the code you are using.

Peter.

I checked my mobile's camera and it works. The blasters showed no sign of receiving anything. Yes the blasters were plugged in alternately. The ozTivo's left hand light changed from green to yellow when I tried to change channels.

I changed the IR code to Hailo and followed the instructions to change channels but nothing happened either with the channels or flashes from the blasters.

What's next, Peter buy a new blaster?

Thanks

John

TiVo has a built in blaster in the middle of the front panel, that should be flashing a second or so after the orange LED flashes. It is only visible through a camera.

Sounds like this is not working either, so might be an issue with your TiVo Box.

Try contacting our hardware guru Darren via his website or PM here.

Peter.

I spoke to Darren, Peter. The problem is solved. I feel a right chump.

I've always assumed the blasters receive the signal so I've always placed them on top of the TV. Now they're stuck on top of the STB pointing at the front it all works very well.

Thanks for you help and patience Peter.

John