London calling... London calling...

Hi Chaps,

It's looking increasingly likely that TiVo Inc will stop supporting our beloved Thomson S1 TiVos in the UK, within the next few months. Following the UK deal with VirginMedia they want everyone to "transition" (their word!) to the new VM TiVo. Only problem is you need to be on Virgin Media's cable TV network to do this - they have no alternative for those of us (c. 45% of the UK population) who aren't on cable.

This will leave us without EPG data. Thinking about alternative sources for guide data updates we naturally thought of you guys, so I thought I'd drop by to ask for your help.

Before we consign our TiVos to the bin, I was wondering what's technically involved in setting up a replacement Daily Call and Guided Setup service?

Obviously we need a source of EPG data (either scraped or a pukka paid-for XML supply), but what do we do then? What do we need to set up/do to get the guide data onto the TiVo?

We need to consider that the majority of UK users are not techies like us, so we need a solution that is simple to implement. Therefore we don't want to re-image if we can help it (we run either 2.5.5 or 2.5.5a). Ideally we would want two alternative connection methods: 1) internet via network, 2) dial-up (i.e. just replacing the existing TiVo dial-up connection).

I will appreciate your comments.

Thanks.