So I went to a Dick Smith Closing Down Sale. Bought a Tivo on extra extra special ($270) - was told it was returned by someone else but in perfect working order.

And it is - it works perfectly. It is in fact my second unit. The first I paid $650 for.

I bought this specifically for the ability to do some networking and sharing of recorded media - for the price, why not.

When I tried to activate, the activation process a message said cannot activate we will contact/resolve in 24 hours ( seems the previous owner activated the machine). So I waited.

It is now more than 21 days later, more than 4 more support requests later and heap of frustration later and still no response.

I am now considering my options but would like to give them fair opportunity.

Anyone got suggestions on how to resolve and what to do next?

Taking back is not an option - the shop is now closed.

Support is an obligation by TiVO. They promote, advertise and market support of their product and so reasonalbe timeframes for support is one thing, but failure or breakdown of support is another. And from what I see on this forum alone, I suspect there is opportunity for a class action for lack of support, certainly the office of fair trading and the ombudsman are also avenues for me to pursue, but that is for another day.

I just need someone to jump on their server and reset the activation so that I can get on with my life. Seriously, 5 minutes work.

thanks Adam