Thread: Newbie Questions I am sure have been posted before.

Newbie Questions I am sure have been posted before.

Hi,

Finally took the plunge and swapped my old Topfield for the Tivo HD. First impressions are positive.

I have a number of stupid questions that I am sure have been answered but I cannot seem to find the thread. Please point me in the right direction and I would be grateful.

1. I hit the Tivo Central button to get in but how to I get out of Tivo Central Menu? Is the answer that I have to press Live TV.

2. Can I create my own groups? I would like a group called Movies.

3. Can I change the default options for recording? For example padding at the front and back.

4. Is it possible to change the white font to another colour so it is easier to see?

5. I am watching a recording - how do I stop? It seems the remote is missing a button.

6. Is there a way to display on the guide those shows that I have set up for recording in the to do list? For example a different colour or an icon.

7. When I press the volume key it only seems to move up in down in single increments. Meaning I have to press it a number of times to increase or decrease the sound. Is this correct configuration? Or can others hold down the volume key and it moves up and down.

8. The channel banner seems to have only two options - very long or not at all. Anyway to add an option in the intermediate time range?

Appreciate the help,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cphair View Post
    1. I hit the Tivo Central button to get in but how to I get out of Tivo Central Menu? Is the answer that I have to press Live TV.
    If that is where you want to go, yes.

2. Can I create my own groups? I would like a group called Movies.
    No

3. Can I change the default options for recording? For example padding at the front and back.
    No, I wish we could.

4. Is it possible to change the white font to another colour so it is easier to see?
    No

5. I am watching a recording - how do I stop? It seems the remote is missing a button.
    Pause or just left arrow to go back to the last menu, or TiVo button for TiVo central.

6. Is there a way to display on the guide those shows that I have set up for recording in the to do list? For example a different colour or an icon.
    No, Wish there was.

7. When I press the volume key it only seems to move up in down in single increments. Meaning I have to press it a number of times to increase or decrease the sound. Is this correct configuration? Or can others hold down the volume key and it moves up and down.
    This varies depending on your TV Brand. My Samsung is the same, but have seen a Panasonic work ok.

8. The channel banner seems to have only two options - very long or not at all. Anyway to add an option in the intermediate time range?
    There are actually three options you can cycle though them with the right arrow key.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks Peter, I suppose the loss of customisation is made up with the simple interface and stable environment.

Yes, they have kept the units dumbed down so everyone can use it, but I do wish there was an advanced option to allow customisation. But I guess that would cause too many support headaches for them.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!