I found these forums and the associated web pages for OzTiVo through the forums at Digital Broadcast Australia (http://www.dba.org.au).

I have a Topfield 5000PVRT which I adore, but of course I can only use it for digital Free-to-air.

I also have cable Foxtel (and one day might switch to digital Foxtel) and I want a hard disk recorder for that.

I had been considering a DVD-Recorder with hard disk drive, but even ignoring the price, I only want the hard disk component. I prefer to send any programs I want to keep to my PC to burn to DVD. Then I stumbled across the TiVo.

It all sounds great to me. I've emailed Eklectic Systems to get their latest price list. I'll just import a US series 1 without hard drive and install a locally bought hard disk when the TiVo arrives (as suggested in these forums). I probably won't do the PAL tuner mod, as the inputs will be Foxtel cable and the VCR (as I understand I can input programs I already have on video tape as a quick "digitise").

Does this sound fine? Any installing/programming doesn't worry me as I work on Unix systems. I've never been that big on hardware fiddling (though I can do it) which is why I'd prefer a TiVo to a HT-PC setup.

Kerry