Thread: Issues with tuner conflicts- can someone please help.

Issues with tuner conflicts- can someone please help.

Hi

Have just bought a tivo after owning a toppy 5000 for 3yrs and being very happy. I didn't think it would be this hard since I knew my toppy back to front LOL.

When I bought it I knew that it wasn't smart enough to use the same tuner for a show that followed another on the same channel, although I assumed it would know to clip the show that is on the same channel, not the show on the other channel. Tonight I had the crazy situation at 9.35 of two tuners recording CSI and (CSI finishing and Cold Case starting on 9). It chopped off the end of the Good Wife. They are all season passes with Goodwife first, CSI second and Cold Case further down the list last (it was only put in about 15mins prior).

I have been mucking around with putting timers in and I am struggling to find a logical reason as to which show it will clip. It would be nice if it would give us a choice when it tell us there is a conflict. As soon as I think I have worked out the knack to setting timers with minimal conflict (or at least the end of your show going to the start of another) my theory goes out the window.

Is there a simple way of setting timers to minimize conflict without using manual recording? ie,

If when setting the timer it says there is a timer conflict and it will cut X show, does this get adjusted if you later change the season pass so that x show is the higher priority?

I also set my parents one up the other day and we just discoverd that SBS is missing from the channel lists. Do we do a rescan to see if it will show up then? Will that cause the loss of any timers etc?

Thank you in advance

Donna

Clipping is a real pain on These TiVo's and they don't provide enough tools to make best use of them.

Without running a test to check, I don't think Season Pass order has any connection to which show will be clipped. It is only used to decide which show will be recorded.

It would be nice if the TiVo software would give priority to clipping shows back to back on the same channel first.

TiVo are working on providing more accurate timing Eg 8:33PM finish instead of 8:30PM which may help down the track.

But I don't really have a good solution for you. I have turned off clipping and once a week I just make sure everything works correctly for the coming week.

You may want to consider options like not padding CSI as it continues to Cold Case, or buying another unit to handle the overload (shows do stream nicely between units).

As for your parents unit, its always best to delete all the channels first and then rescan. It will not effect any of your season passes or ToDo list (unless the channel is no longer there).

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thank you for that. I thought it gave priority so I guess that's where I was going wrong. I have since discovered if I go into recording options I can change it from 'will be clipped' to start on time which then forces it to clip the other one.

Will tell mum and dad to clear their channels and do a rescan. Hopefully that will work

Thanks again
    Donna