Thread: Newbie Q: record 2 & watch liveTV?

Question Newbie Q: record 2 & watch liveTV?

OK have just purchased the TiVo today and have just noticed that it won't do what I expected!!!!

We have been using a SD/PVR twin tuner for years now and can record 2 channels plus watch a third.

Thinking that by buying a twin tuner again that we could do the same but from what I have now
    read we can only record 2 channels and watch a 3rd recording only and NOT liveTV which is what we
    do all the time.

Is this the truth?

Haven't tried it out yet as I'm still to try and setup the TiVo with my Airport Express later on when I have the time
    so we still are using the SD PVR.

If it is the case can I split the antenna cable so I can run one to the back of the TV so when the TiVo is all used up
    we can switch to watching the TV.

The SD PVR on the back has an 2 x signal in & 2 x signal out, one loops into the other and then the last goes to the back
    of the TV.

cheers

It is record 2 shows and watch a previous recording only - you can't watch live TV.

Note that record two 'shows' is not the same as record two 'channels' as you wrote above.The difference occurs when you turn on the option to automatically add extra time to the end of the recordings.
    E.g. if you want to record a show from 7:00pm-7:30pm, and another show on the same channel from 7:30pm-8:00pm, then from 7:30 until 7:40 (for 10mins extra after the first show) both tuners will be on the same channel recording the same content. At this point you can't even watch/record a 2nd channel.

Yes you can split the antenna cable to both the Tivo and TV to watch live shows using the TV's tuner.

I'm pretty sure on the TIVO you can record 2 channels at the same time and watch the 3rd channel assuming it's one of the recording channels....

Someone confirm this?

yes you can.

have sorted it out now by putting a antenna splitter in.

Quote Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
    I'm pretty sure on the TIVO you can record 2 channels at the same time and watch the 3rd channel assuming it's one of the recording channels....

Someone confirm this?
    No you cannot do this on the TiVo itself, but you can split the antenna cable from the back of the TiVo and run it to the TV (as seahunter has done) so you can use the TV as normal.

TiVo did not provide a loop though for the Antenna, as they want people to make best use of the TiVo and that should mean that you very rarely watch any live TV.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Ok thanks for your feedback.