Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Questions

Stupid Questions

Ok Im going to ask some possibly dumb questions, I seem to be having more trouble with this than anyone else... Maybe its my limited intellect!I have searched the mailing list and still am confused about some stuff!

1) I have now successfully loaded the Oztivo iso image onto the HDD ( I think!) , installed the Turbo Card, plugged everything in - to sky digital, and connected the card to my network. When I turn on the Tivo I get the Oztivo Maintenace flash at the start up, followed by the guided setup (that looks like it is the original authentic Tivo setup). The instructions on the NZ tivo Emulator advise me to edit the tclient using the telnet. But im not sure how to use the Telnet...

2) What is a Telnet, I think there is one in Win XP, but Im advised against using it... Therefore what should I use?

3) If im using a Telnet I presume I need the IP for the Tivo to connect, how can I find out the IP for my Tivo?

4) Because I get the Oztivo splash is it reasonable to assume that I have loaded it properly?

5) Most of the how-to's that I have downloaded brush over the telnet thing and just describe it as - at the prompt type such & such but nothing seems to explain how to get to the prompt! - for a dumby at least!!!

6) Do I need to do anything special to load drivers etc for the card?

7) Someone advised that if the card was installed correctly it would appear on my network - Where would I look for that???

Im reasonably confident - 90% that physically I have installed the card properly, and 100% confident that I have physically installed the HDD properly...

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I thought it would be better to get them all out of the way in one post...

All help is greatly appreciated, still dying to get the thing going!!

Marv

1) I have now successfully loaded the Oztivo iso image onto the HDD ( I think!) , installed the Turbo Card, plugged everything in - to sky digital, and connected the card to my network. When I turn on the Tivo I get the Oztivo Maintenace flash at the start up, followed by the guided setup (that looks like it is the original authentic Tivo setup). The instructions on the NZ tivo Emulator advise me to edit the tclient using the telnet. But im not sure how to use the Telnet...

It's pretty easy once you learn the commands. Did you ever work with DOS? Here's a hint, there aint no start button

2) What is a Telnet, I think there is one in Win XP, but Im advised against using it... Therefore what should I use?

Telnet is simply a way to communicate with a machine. It uses a Command Line Interface so all communication is via text. ie you must enter text to get your machine to do something, it communicates back via text. I use PuTTy but there are a few clients you can choose from. I've posted a link in your other thread so you can download it.

3) If im using a Telnet I presume I need the IP for the Tivo to connect, how can I find out the IP for my Tivo?

There a few ways, but it depends on how your network is setup. Read this http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...TiVosIPAddress or take a punt with this > in windows xp > start button > all programs > accessories > command prompt. Once you have your command prompt screen up type in ping 192.168.0.255 or ping 192.168.10.255 and if you're lucky you'll get back one or more similar numbers ie 192.168.0.2 or .3 or .4 etc. One of those is your TiVo's IP address ( I've made *a lot* of assumptions here )

4) Because I get the Oztivo splash is it reasonable to assume that I have loaded it properly?

I'd say so but I've never seen a TiVo boot up without an imaged drive.

5) Most of the how-to's that I have downloaded brush over the telnet thing and just describe it as - at the prompt type such & such but nothing seems to explain how to get to the prompt! - for a dumby at least!!!

Run PuTTy as an application in windows. Change the radio button to Telnet and type in the IP address. A black screen will pop up some text like this [TiVo [p0] ~]# then a cursor which is your prompt

Sorry I dont know this one

7) Someone advised that if the card was installed correctly it would appear on my network - Where would I look for that???

I think this comes back to finding your TiVo's IP address.

HTH

elarbee
    Last edited by elarbee; 08-08-2004 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    its not that im lazy, its that i just dont care

Hi Marv,

No. The OzTiVo image loads the drivers for the Turbonet card by default.

Sorry to introduce yet another term into the equation but it uses DHCP by default. What happens is when the TiVo starts up it looks on the network for a DHCP server to give it an IP address. To set your XP box up as a DHCP server see this page:

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...tworkingWithXP

Once that's working then use the information at part 3 of elarbee's fantastic post to determine the TiVo's IP address. Then you can use PuTTy to connect to the TiVo.

Keep plugging away - as it says in the GuidedSetup30 page, getting networking is probably the hardest part of the getting the TiVo up and running.

Oh and I can't resist - Go Wallabies!

Cheers, Dave.
    Last edited by DavidSymons; 08-08-2004 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Took out the bit about elarbee's typo :)
    Living Room: US Philips HDR112, Seagate 200Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.5 (20051128), CacheCard (no RAM), Kross STB
    Rumpus Room: US Philips HDR31202, Seagate 120Gb, OzTiVo Image v1.6, CacheCard (no RAM), Tuner Mod, Dual Input Mod
    Additional Hacks: Re-order Season Passes

Hi Marv

Your tivo will (by default) try to get its own IP address from a DHCP server (if you have one). A DHCP "server" can be any device like an ADSL router, a PC, a Wireless Access Point or whatever...and that device 'gives out' the networking information including IP address etc to the device requesting an IP.

If you are unsure if you have a DHCP server the easiest way to check is to look at the network settings of your PC - have you manually put in an IP address for your PC or is it set to "obtain an ip address automatically"? I only say this in case someone else might have set a DHCP server up for you - I'm only guessing :/ (DHCP exists if "obtain an ip address automatically" is checked).

If you are not using DHCP then I agree with Dave - follow the instructions for the networkingwithXP page.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSymons
    Ooh I've noticed a typo - he would have meant to type "ping 192.168.0.255 or ping 192.168.10.255" in part 3.

oops (mike muuss would be turning in his grave! )
    post corrected
    thanks dave

Talking Boohoo the All Blacks!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help, after a depressing night last night - All Blacks losing and not seeming to get further I have had a little more success this morning.

I have dloaded Putty, and it seems to be working ( At least it starts ok but don't have the IP yet..., I have tried the ping with limited success however I had a grizzly 1 year old on my knee at the time...

I will be searching for more clues on the net about obtaining my IP address as this seems to be the problem for now...

I must also thank everyone for their patience... after last night it really hurts to have to ask a group of Aussies for help hyuk hyuk hyuk

Marv

Hi All,

Me again...

Ive been playing with this thing all afternoon, I have reset up the ICS, have tried turning on & off the automatic selection of IP addresses. I get the impression im hitting a brick wall here,

does anyone have any other ideas?

Marv

Just had another thought

The Ethernet Switch lights up when connected to the Tivo, does this indicate that the connection is good. Im wondering now if Ive stuffed up the install?

When I unplug the Tivo the lights on the Ethernet Switch go dead. When I unplug the cable they go dead too...

Am I right in the above assumption?

the lights on your switch only indicate a live connection which is a good sign

have you tried this link?

http://minnie.tuhs.org/twiki/bin/vie...tworkingWithXP

or try this in windows

start button > all programs > accessories > command prompt

then in this new window type in ipconfig and press enter. it will come back your pc's ip address. it's important to make sure your tivo is in the same subnet ( the first three numbers of the ip address must be the same ) which it will be if you have ICS enabled in your pc or your using a DHCP device such as your pc or a router.

now that you have your own ip address. type in (as in my previous post)
    ping *insert your own ip address and change the last number with 255*
    ie > ping 192.168.0.255
    this should give you a list of local ip addresses that are responding, one is your tivo

HTH
    elarbee

Hi Guys,

Elarbee - Sorry I forgot to explain, I have opened the command prompt and tried the 'ping 192.168.0.255' - it gives me 4 request timed out signals. (I have worked out (with help!) that my PC's IP is 192.168.0.1. I have also tried as you suggested the 192.168.10.255 again 4 request timed out signals.

When I do an ipconfig I only get info about the PC's IP and if Im connected to the Internet info about the PPP. I get no info about the Tivo and also I get no info about the Xbox which is also connected (which is still working via Flashxp.)

When I do an ipconfig /displaydns I get a bit more info including what I presume is the IP's of any webpages that I am currently using, My PC, my PC's IP backwards with the words in-addr.arpa, and still nothing that is anything like my Tivo.

Ive gone through the Networking Howto, and the Networking with XP and incidentally all of the other links on he OZtivo site (and 3 other sites!) without much success... I have done all the things suggested in the Networking Howto but still drawn a blank.

I have on Daves suggestion tried randomly pinging 192.168.0.2 , .3 .4 etc all the way up to 50! and get only request timed outs.

Dave - I tried the 192.168.0.41 and unfortunately its a no go!

I presume I could keep going all the way to 255 but given that I can't see the Tivo's address when I do the ipconfig Im wondering if Ive stuffed up the installation. This is weird because I still get the green lights when the thing is powered up so that indicates (at least to clueless me!) that some signal is being sent...

So it raises a couple more questions:

1) If i stuffed up the imaging the Harddrive part would this cause the problem?

2) If i stuffedup the imaging the Harddrive part would I still get the Oztivo Maintenance Splash when I boot up the Tivo?

3) Serial connection, I believe I can get a cord from "Kodak?" that will act as a serial connection - would that be a logical next step?, and does it talk directly to the Tivo without the Turbonet card? Also where the heck does it plug into????

Any further patience, medication or help would be appreciated...

Marv