Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Tivo needs help.

OK. My current connection is:
    ONE STB connected to the inputs of the TIVO
    Outputs of the TIVO connected to the TV
    Network Card attached to the TIVO mobo and has network cable connect to a second network port in my ADSL modem/router

I can see the Guided Setup on the TV but I seem to be stuck on "First Setup Call" screen as I am getting a "failed. Service Unavailable message".

Any ideas?

I looked at the network card that I have connected and it has got both the networks lights on but not blinking when I turn on TIVO. Is this suppose to be normal given that I have seen network lights from a PC network card blinking?

Also when I imaged my hard drive in the "network" option on the Menu I just kept pressing enter key until the end and not type/update any settings along the 'wizard' options thinking my TIVO setup is typical and default settings have been used. Is this correct at all?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by pgde2 View Post

I can see the Guided Setup on the TV but I seem to be stuck on "First Setup Call" screen as I am getting a "failed. Service Unavailable message".

Any ideas?
    I think you need to make sure that you entered the correct information for your network, this is what you said earlier:

So using the boot CD with ozTiVo_installer_Sony_1.6.2_20080604.iso on it, I turned the PC on which took me to the menu screen as expected. Although there were suspicious message that were scrolling up that were too fast for me to read, it went to the menu screen. So as per instructions:

Update - it was OK.

Select - it was OK (one HD)

Image - it was OK (used 127 MB partition swap for my 80 gig HD)

MFsadd - Only one HD I'm using so I skipped this.

Network - I chose the Turbonet option and pressed <enter> all throughout until the very end. But I don't have this turbonet card so I'm wondering whether I should've skipped this.
    The network setting need to match your network for it to work.

From memory the default is DHCP, do you have DHCP enabled on your modem/router?

To run the setup again use the command nic_config_tivo see this page for details.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I might just need some further clarification to your post, Peter.

1. Just to confirm, my modem/router has been DHCP enabled. This is because the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) Properties window in Control Panel shows "Obtain an IP Address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically".

2. If I am able to detach my hard drive from the TIVO and re-image my drive again using the image CD then I do not need to understand/follow your advice for "run the setup again use the command nic_config_tivo see this page for details." because it is the same procedure right?

3. The way I have connected my hard drive in my TIVO should be OK as far as the master/slave jumpers and ribbon cable and power cable are concerned. Because if this is not right then I would not even see the TIVO Guided setup messages on my TV. Ditto answer to me using my 80 gig ide Western Digital Hard Drive.

4. Because I am using DHCP, then there is no need to specify "Subnet Mask" and "Gateway".

Which gets me back to my issue of not being able to connect in the "First Set up Call" part of the Guided Set Up.

If I were to find out the IP Address of my TIVO, is that just connecting my TIVO to my PC network socket with a crossover cable and type ipconfig on the cmd prompt of my Windows XP? and If I do find out what my TIVO's IP Address is, does that mean that at that point my turbonet card has been set up correctly? Because so far I have not been able to get this TIVO IP address and even doing the ping OZTIVO I am not able to get the packets messages.

By the way can I also confirm that I do not need to understand/worry how to get the 3rd party telnet because that is only applicable to "2." which I don't need to go through as I can disconnect my TIVO HD etc etc.

Thanks.
    Last edited by pgde2; 03-07-2010 at 10:18 PM.

If I were to find out the IP Address of my TIVO, is that just connecting my TIVO to my PC network socket with a crossover cable and type ipconfig on the cmd prompt of my Windows XP? and If I do find out what my TIVO's IP Address is, does that mean that at that point my turbonet card has been set up correctly? Because so far I have not been able to get this TIVO IP address and even doing the ping OZTIVO I am not able to get the packets messages.
    Don't connect the tivo directly to the PC, as then it will not get an address from the DHCP server (modem). Log on to your modem and look at the list of DHCP 'clients', you should see your PC listed there.

Are you using an original TiVo harddrive in your TiVo at the moment, or have you got the 80Gb drive in there? If you used an original drive you need to unlock it every time you image it. Otherwise you will still have the original US configured software on it. It should be obvious anyway because it will be in NTSC mode.

You won't be able to ping 'oztivo' because the TiVo does not use the windows discovery protocol. The 'host name' is only used for DHCP address assignment.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

I'm not using the original TIVO Disk but a Western Digital 80 gig which I think I have succesfully re-imaged..

I have to work out how to log into my modem and work out what how to look for a list of DHCP 'clients'. Do you think I should also see my TIVO listed here when the TIVO is on and the network cable is connected to the hub?

Yes the TiVo should be listed as a DHCP client along with your PC. You must have the network cable plugged into the TiVo before you power it on, otherwise it won't obtain an IP address. You should see one of the network card LEDs blink occasionally (due to miscellaneous traffic from your PC).

If you can't find the list of DHCP clients on your modem, download 'Angry IP Scanner', hit "IP" button, then "Class C" button, then scan. If you are using Vista or Win7 then I don't know if this will work by default.

OK I rang my isp and I was able to log in to my modem and hub and they showed where I can find all the devices that are currently or in the past connected.

This is what I got:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsuDc7S

From the image, it looks like it's just my PC that is currently connected to the ethernet even though the TIVO box is on and cable has been connected to the hub prior to me turning it on. I just turned the TIVO on and not click on the remote to follow the guided set up steps (but I don't think I need to do that first before I check if my hub has recognised the TIVO).

Any more ideas would be great. I tried swapping the cable to0 by using the PC network cable but no cigar...

I'm not really confident that image would show all connected devices. For example if you had a switch plugged into ethport2 with multiple PCs hanging off it?
    What does the DHCP server configuration screen look like?
    Have you tried doing an IP address scan?
    Pretty crazy looking hub with VoIP and cordless phone capability built in.
    You could put the HDD back in your PC and reconfigure the network card, making sure 'failsafe' speed is selected rather than standard or 'turbo'. I can't remember what the default is. Also check that the emulator port entered is 9090 (rather than 80 or 8000). I think that is the default on the latest image anyway.
    Has your TiVo had the tuner replaced with a PAL tuner? I have had the RF output frequency interfere with network functionality. Your diagram indicated that you do not have a VHF/UHF aerial plugged in, so would not be an issue.

What model is your modem?
    Last edited by Skolink; 08-07-2010 at 10:47 AM.

I think that is my DHCP screen. Picture this - my modem/hud has two ethernet ports. One connected to my PC and the other connect to the TIVO (which is currently not working). From http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsuDc7S which I previously posted. It can show the PC as the only devices recognised by the modem/hub. When I click on the PC hyperlink from this picture, I get:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqfQXq0

As you can see the the PC is set up with DHCP so I think this proves that my DHCP is working because it being used for my PC that is connected to the ethernet port.

I'm using the WIFI for my iphone and my landline to connect to the home socket via the ADSL filter which is why that other info is there.

I also re-imaged my Hard Drive and selected 'failsafe' in the network options and also changed the emulator port to 9090 by selecting "Other" in the emulator part of the menu.

I have not replaced the tuner at all with a PAL tuner as I want to use my STB as the tuner.

I dunno, from a high perspective I just think the network component of my set up is the one not working. If I stuffed up on the re-imaging of the the disk then I don't think guided setup will appear at all on my TV screen. Network card seems to be fine (there's one on spot in the mobo to connect it right? and that's at the front). Maybe my TIVO Unit is faulty?

My modem/hub is provided my ISP IPrimus so it's name is on the modem but looking at the back it says Thomsom with SSID: SpeedTouch0159F4. There is a MAC info here of MAC:001D68811FD8. Maybe I need to use this MAC number in the network settings in the Network part of the re-imaging menu?

When I boot the OZTIVO Re-Imaging CD on my PC I notice from the scrolling message a "Kernel Module Mismatch" message. Does that really matter?

I tried the CACHECARD option from the CD but I got a error message on my TV screen (as expected I suppose).

I wish I had another device to connect to my modem/hub to test DHCP.

I changed the MAC # thing as well and that didn't work.

Actually I do have another Device to test my DHCP - my network printer. So I connected my network printer in the ethernet port along with my PC and this what I got:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqfUoqr

And clicking on my printer link gives:

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVTdbt9

DHCP again! I think my DHCP settings for my modem/hub is correct.
    Last edited by pgde2; 10-07-2010 at 11:23 AM.

Is there no screen where you can set the modem's IP, enable/disable DHCP and choose what IP addresses it goves out via DHCP? Your ISP has probably locked all such functions.
    I agree that DHCP seems to be working since your PC an iPhone have both been assigned an address. Since your PC's address is 192.168.1.100 it is likely that the TiVo will be assigned an address in the range 192.168.1.101 to 192.168.1.110
    Also your HDD imaging must have been sucessful or you would not be able to boot the TiVo as you point out. I think the kernel mismatch error is normal.
    You should not have chosen 'other' for the emulator, you should have chosen 'oztivo.net' and then at the next prompt checked/changed the port to 9090. You have now probably set the emulator address to 9090 when is should be www.oztivo.net
    There is no need to change the MAC address unless you have two series1 TiVos on the same network.

Although I test all network cards before they go out, it is possible (although unlikely) the turbonet card is faulty. If you want to risk paying return postage, then you can send it back for me to retest. Obviously if it is faulty I will cover the postage both ways.

If you do get the network going, then can I just check you are aware of the guided setup how-to