Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Tivo needs help.

Ok I updated my bios boot settings so that my PC only boots to the CD rom with the boot CD and everything else (boot options) has been disabled. I only tried with Western Digital 80gig WD800JB and get the Error Message: '"Could not find NTLDR" and then prompts me to go into Windows safe mode (which it won't because my windows hard drive has been physically disconnected.) which makes it reboot again and again.

Will reformatting my Hard drive via Windows help?
    Last edited by pgde2; 10-06-2010 at 09:59 PM.

It has already been mentioned but I will reiterate what has already been posted: Your PC is not booting the CD. The messages you are seeing are not possible if the CD is being loaded.
    Darren King
    OzTiVo Repairs and Modifications
    If your TiVo requires repairs or modifications
    then visit: http://kingey1971.wix.com/tivorepairs

NOW ALSO REPAIRING FETCH TOO!

where are you located? someone might be able to come and help you.

Ok..I think I'm getting warmer here.

I think after spending a few days on this (and 10 CD coasters later) I think I have established that the file ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso does not work.

Why? Because tonight I decided to burn ozTiVo_installer_Sony_1.6.2_20080604.iso and I went as far as this linux screen (with the twin penguins on top??). Then I decided to burn an old file ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20061106.iso and got the twin penguins too.

However, the menu does not appear and I get another error message:

Can't find knoppix file system sorry
    Dropping you to a (very limited) shell
    Press reset button to quit

Then I get this KNOPPIX# prompt where I can freely use my keyboard to type. But I'm thinking I should get a menu screen and not this....

Melb SE burbs here....FTG. Thanks.

The file has been in use since 2008 with hundreds of downloads, so I don't think there is any issue with the file.

At least you are on the right track now.

Either your PC does not work with this install CD or your original download was corrupted.

In the same directory as the Iso files we also have an md5sum file, this is used to confirm the file you downloaded is not corrupt.

Google md5sum to see how it works and check your download is ok.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Ok I googled and found this IsoBuster program to verify using Checksum. I get a message saying "Checksum does not match". Does that mean I have downloaded the ISO file from the server incorrectly? How can I download the file incorrectly?

Mind you the sony iso file I downloaded has checksum matched message and yet I get the same error message as in #14 thread.
    Last edited by pgde2; 12-06-2010 at 12:08 AM.

More than likely the Philips image was just corrupted during the download.

Just try again, maybe using a download manager like getright or similar.

But since the checksum matched the Sony image, chances are you will end up with a similar problems. Unfortunately not all PC's work with the installer.

Your best bet would be to try using an older PC if possible, or maybe ask Darren if he could image a drive for you as he also in Victoria (but I know he has had less spare time at home recently).

Peter
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks, Peter. I will try to contact Darren.

Maybe a Computer Swap Market can also be another option for me.

I do hope to come up with a fix for these issues with some newer PC's, but will not be for a while.

Peter.

Where there's a will there's a way!

I've actually made a little bit of progress as I've managed to partially restore a Pentium 3 which I have cannibalised many years ago.

So using the boot CD with ozTiVo_installer_Sony_1.6.2_20080604.iso on it, I turned the PC on which took me to the menu screen as expected. Although there were suspicious message that were scrolling up that were too fast for me to read, it went to the menu screen. So as per instructions:

Update - it was OK.

Select - it was OK (one HD)

Image - it was OK (used 127 MB partition swap for my 80 gig HD)

MFsadd - Only one HD I'm using so I skipped this.

Network - I chose the Turbonet option and pressed <enter> all throughout until the very end. But I don't have this turbonet card so I'm wondering whether I should've skipped this.

Emulator - I just pressed enter key all through our not changing any default options on the screen.

Palmod - ditto as per Emulator option.

Sysinit - ditto as per Emulator option.

Exit.

I've opened my Sony SVR-2000 and took out the original Hard Drive and replaced this with my imaged 80 gig HD, setting my HD drive as single master.

So does this mean I cannot proceed any further until I get say a network card installed in my unit?