Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie to Tivo needs help.

Newbie to Tivo needs help.

Hi All,

I hope that this site is still very active given TIVO is now available commercially.

I'm trying to create a boot CD for the ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso that I downloaded in the website.

So I restart my PC and put this boot cd on the drive. Then it goes to 'DOS mode' and comes up with a few scrolling messages which ends with a

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
    [DR-DOS] A:\>

after that I cannot proceeed any further as I cannot type any characters on this [DR-DOS] A:\> prompt.

Am I on track at all???

Mind you I have not installed the OZTIVO disk on my PC while I am doing this and my computer hard drives are both sata. But I would think that the boot disk would at least show the menu screen that is expected with all the delete warnings.

Thanks!!!

Have you read: http://www.oztivo.net/twiki/bin/view...repareTiVoDisk
    Have you burnt the installer iso to a cd as listed here: Software to Burn ISO Images (make sure you have imaged and not just copied the iso to cd)
    Next follow the section headed: Booting from the Install CD
    With only the target hard drive (set as ide0 master) and the cd in your computer the pc should boot up from the cd and run the installer (you may need to set the pc bios to "boot from cdrom")

Thanks, Islander. I think I have tried to create the boot disk and it is working because if I didn't, then the windows application will run on the PC. I'm getting DOS messages that scroll up quickly.

Let me connect the TIVO hard disc into the PC and see how I go with this boot disk. I will disconnect my two sata hard disks as well while this is happening. I'm glad this forum is still active given the release of TIVO units commercially here.
    Last edited by pgde2; 06-06-2010 at 06:59 PM.

I tried to copy the image on to two drives and both gave me error messages (probably the scrolling thing I mentioned before was an error message and that I should not get and I should get a text-based menu instead.)

Both disks are not from the original Tivo unit:

Western Digital 80gig
    WD800JB

Seagate Barracuda 20gig
    ST320430A

both have IDE connections.

Does anyone know why I cannot get past this stage? I have connect the cables to the CD ROM and TIVO HD and set the bios boot up settings a per instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by pgde2 View Post
    So I restart my PC and put this boot cd on the drive. Then it goes to 'DOS mode' and comes up with a few scrolling messages which ends with a

Caldera DR-DOS 7.03
    [DR-DOS] A:\>

after that I cannot proceeed any further as I cannot type any characters on this [DR-DOS] A:\> prompt.

Am I on track at all???
    You are not booting the installer CD.

It appears you may be booting a Floppy disc or have not made the installer CD correctly. We do not use DR-DOS on our installer.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

Thanks, Peter. Let me try this again and post my results. My time is a bit limited these days compared to my uni years but I will get this sorted out. Probably better to have a 2nd computer when I am doing this eh?

It looks like I need fully understand how to create a boot CD. I am using NERO Burning ROM 6 to create the boot CD so I add the file ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso. It's now asking for an image file and I am using the one NERO provides which is DosBootimage.IMA

Am I doing this right? Am I using the correct image file because I'm thinking maybe I am using the wrong one which is giving the unexpected DR DOS A:/ prompt. I saw another filke on the server called ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso.md5 is this like an image file that needs to be used for the boot CD?

I can't be booting a floppy disk because I have no floppy disk in the dirve.

Such a noob I am. Little steps....
    Last edited by pgde2; 07-06-2010 at 08:55 PM.

The problem is that you are adding a boot image, this is where DR-DOS is coming from.

I haven't used Nero for a while, but you should be able to just burn the .iso file as it is. Nothing needs to be added it is all there.

Peter.
    Please search this forum and our Website for your TiVo questions before starting a new thread. Thanks!

I use nero, and just select "Burn Image..." from the 'Recorder' menu. Then just find the oztivo .iso, select 'Write' and ''Finalize CD' and Write Method 'Disc at once''. I also turn off buffer underrun protection and burn at 16x or slower to be sure.

TiVo Series3 TiVoHD x2

Ok what I did tonight was there is this image drive in NERO 6 so I enabled it and mounted the ozTiVo_installer_Philips_1.6.2_20080604.iso to this drive and used the Copy CD to CD feature.

So now I have a burnt CD of the boot CD. I tried to run this CD on both Hard Drives (one at a time of course), setting each drive as master and the CD Drive with the boot CD as the slave. I had the following error messages for each Hard Disk:

For Seagate Barracuda 20gig ST320430A

Error Message: '"Could not find NTLDR" and it just hangs.

For Western Digital 80gig WD800JB

Error Message:

"Error finding BTMAGIC.IMG
    Rew BootMagic install
    Press any key to boot active partition"

I press <ENTER>

and then I get another error message:

"Partition Table Invalid" and it just hangs.

Anyone have a clue to what went wrong? Was my boot CD copied incorrectly?

Sounds like your PC is trying to boot from the harddrives. Set it to boot from CD first in BIOS